Tyre recommendations

b3nje909

Reaction score
Visit site
so, after 2 months and 6000 kays. my rear tyre is shagged and my front is on its way.

Any recommendations of rubber? For everyday use. i.e. commuting/"spirited" riding through the country side, and some times some highway work.

I must say tho. the Dunlop sports are pretty confident inspiring, except when "cold", and trailing the front brake into corners..

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so, after 2 months and 6000 kays. my rear tyre is shagged and my front is on its way.

Any recommendations of rubber? For everyday use. i.e. commuting/"spirited" riding through the country side, and some times some highway work.

I must say tho. the Dunlop sports are pretty confident inspiring, except when "cold", and trailing the front brake into corners..

For all round, everyday use in all conditions, i think a lot of people will agree with me when i say....Pilot Power Road 2ct's.....awesome tyres....long wear life, great grip in wet & cold, dont square off......

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a feeling it was gonna be them.

but I was hoping someone had something sneaky and out of left field

Ozzieboy like's his Pilot Powers, not the 2CT's, but the single compound ones...

And i am just trying out some Conti's, which are supposed to be real decent.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All depends on the riding you do. I can get away with a single compound tire 'cause I don't ride straight lines. I can go the slightly less sticky sided (apparently) single compound powers 'cause it's only a detuned 600 on the road...lol...I have my other tires sitting aside for the track. The pegs are scraping well before the tires get squirmy on nearly all dry, gravel free road surfaces even giving it plenty of stick coming out.

The Pilot roads get squirmy as the peg feelers touch down, but are great in the wet.

The squirmy moments from the Michelins are quite comfy with surprisingly good feedback, so you can actually enjoy it:eek::spank::spank:( I'm trying to cut back:()

With almost entirely twisty riding I get around the same wear from a Road 2CT and Power 1CT (7.5-9 thousand km).

I didn't much care for the dry traction of the Dunlop Roadsmarts but they were very good in the wet also, but with slightly less wear (Were toast around 1500km sooner than the Pilots).

Unfortunately only you know what riding you do and how hard but I hope this helps you make the right tire choice.:thumbup:pity it wasn't a month or so later or Wolfman could've given a comparo between Michies and Conties.

Cheers
Mike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All depends on the riding you do. I can get away with a single compound tire 'cause I don't ride straight lines. I can go the slightly less sticky sided (apparently) single compound powers 'cause it's only a detuned 600 on the road...lol...I have my other tires sitting aside for the track. The pegs are scraping well before the tires get squirmy on nearly all dry, gravel free road surfaces even giving it plenty of stick coming out.

The Pilot roads get squirmy as the peg feelers touch down, but are great in the wet.

The squirmy moments from the Michelins are quite comfy with surprisingly good feedback, so you can actually enjoy it:eek::spank::spank:( I'm trying to cut back:()

With almost entirely twisty riding I get around the same wear from a Road 2CT and Power 1CT (7.5-9 thousand km).

I didn't much care for the dry traction of the Dunlop Roadsmarts but they were very good in the wet also, but with slightly less wear (Were toast around 1500km sooner than the Pilots).

Unfortunately only you know what riding you do and how hard but I hope this helps you make the right tire choice.:thumbup:pity it wasn't a month or so later or Wolfman could've given a comparo between Michies and Conties.

Cheers
Mike

Mike gives good advice, he only goes through a set of tyres about every 4-6 weeks......mileage king, twisty addict, and sport riding nutter, all rolled into 1!

:rockon:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike gives good advice, he only goes through a set of tyres about every 4-6 weeks......mileage king, twisty addict, and sport riding nutter, all rolled into 1!

:rockon:

Rolled into 1...wish they coulda "rolled" me a bit tighter...lol:D

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I've grown fond of the Dunlop RoadSmarts. I do a fair amount of in town riding and some highway. Once or twice a week there is usually a medium/slow twisty ride(no more than 10 or so over speed limits). I've had no problems with traction in the dry but don't know yet about the wet traction. I got 10,500 miles out of the first set and am at 7,500 and counting on my second set.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My new bike has the Bridgestone standards (Battlax ) on it as I guess these are supplied with the new bikes here in Mexico (whoops, Victoria)
They seem ok although I havn't been on the Ocean Road yet.
Would expect at least 10,000 km from the rear?

Definitely will keep an eye on what tyres are recommended here and will be looking at the Michelins next time I am near a tyre store.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/members/rumpole-of-the-bailey-albums-bike-picture4613-01082009611.jpg

The Michelin Pilot Roads, make the OEM battlax tyre feel like concrete IMHO.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a feeling it was gonna be them.

but I was hoping someone had something sneaky and out of left field

If you want something out of left field then try Shinko Advance 005 :thumbup: , ran them on my Fizzer and they had nearly 12000 k's on them when i traded the bike , rear tyre was shagged but front still had a good 2 maybe 3000 in it still with minimal feathering....They were ridden on daily to and from work and twistied on the weekends , i gave them heaps and they never left me asking and all at a price you cant complain about...

Here is the link to my reviews http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/10584-fresh-rubber.html

They also have a more sport orientated tread that is an Advance 009 check that out aswell Shinko Tires - Performance You Can Trust any more info you would like you can PM me or Reiobard im sure he would help you with a few reviews too , he also swears by them :thumbup:

Stimson

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm..... i'll be in the market for some new treads soon. hope they have specials on for me when i need them. Saw the michelin pilots at the local nike shop for around 340 for a rear and high 2's for the front

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com

I ride the Conti Road Attacks and love them. So do about 1,000,000 couriers in London. That should tell you something.

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday All,
This weekend I got a pair of Diablo Stradas fitted @ Western Motorcycles in the Riff (Penrith, Sydney). Fitted in about 30-35 min for $449. They also threw in 2 adult tickets to the Australian Superbike Champs.
Was the first pair I've purchased and I didn't shop around too much but overall was a fairly straight up process.
Recommended!

dbz_fz

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been riding Pilot Powers all summer and I have really enjoyed them. I don't do much highway/interstate riding though, mostly twisties with a little in town riding.