Two Firsts!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So this weekend I had two new experiences with the FZ, both of which were enjoyable and successful endeavors.

For the first time my girlfriend decided to get on the back of my bike. We rode two up out to Jones Beach for the air show and it was awesome. I think she had her eyes closed a lot of the time, but she said she enjoyed it and will do it again. I like riding two up and the bike handled it great. Little more unstable at low speeds, but at cruising speed and in the corners it was predictable and confident.

Today I realized I was due for a chain clean and lube and noticed I was out of the little container of cleaner that came with my grunge brush kit. So, I went with the old tried and trued method of using kerosene and it worked great. I poured some kerosene into a little bowl and used an old pant brush to liberally apply it to the chain. Then thoroughly scrubbed with the grunge brush, wiped clean, and when I was all done applied my Maxima Chain Wax. Came out great and the chain looks new.

Overall a great Memorial Day weekend with some new experiences to add to the list!

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! Tell your girl to NOT close her eyes! She should look over your shoulder exactly where you're looking.. as far as she can through turns. Just like being the operator, the more she rides the more comfortable she will become.. but don't scare her for now.. introduce greater lean angles gradually and work on being very smooth with acceleration and braking.

Did you warm up the chain before applying lube?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! Tell your girl to NOT close her eyes! She should look over your shoulder exactly where you're looking.. as far as she can through turns. Just like being the operator, the more she rides the more comfortable she will become.. but don't scare her for now.. introduce greater lean angles gradually and work on being very smooth with acceleration and braking.

Yea, I think as she gets more confident and comfortable her eyes will stay open for longer. I def made it a tame ride. Highway speed was kept low, no serious lean, and no weaving. I am just so happy she finally decided to give it a shot and wasn't terrified.

Did you warm up the chain before applying lube?

Yes. After I clean I always take it out for a quick run to get it warmed up before applying the lube. Seems to always take better that way.