Turn signal help!!!??!?

quick fz

Throttle Jockey!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
i bought a set of lockhart phillips turn signals to match the ones on my undertail kit. The lights came with the standard "plug in" type connectors but my 2008 stock front turn signals have their own connector.
from the connector comes three wires, a black with gray stripe, blue with gray stripe, and brown with gray stripe.

does anyone know what these wires are?

i cant figure out which one is the running light positive and the turn positive and the ground.... can anyone help?

:confused::confused::confused:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, front signal lights will have three wires because the there is a "signal" filament and a "marker" (that's what I call it) filament. The marker stays lit all the time and will be dimmer than the signal light.

One wire will be common. To figure which one is the common and the rest, you either need a multimeter or a 12V source.

For the multimeter method, the marker filament will have higher resistance than the signal filament when measuring from common to each wire. If you happen to measure from the marker wire to the signal wire, you will see the total resistance of marker and signal. So with an ohm meter there are a few combinations of measurement you need to take to determing which is which.

For the battery method, you need to take the lens cover off so you can see the filaments. Connect two of the three wires across your battery. Did both filaments light up? If so, the other wire is your common. Now take the common and one of the other two wires and touch the batttery posts. Observe the brightness and also confirm that only one filament illuminated. Now take the common and the other wire and observe the brightness. If it is brighter, that wire is the signal and the one before is the marker, or vice versa. You get the picture.

Hope that helps you out. ;)