Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I and a few others I ride with have the SMX-5's and they're nice boots! I got mine in 2008 and they are still holding up fine. Sidi and Dianese are going to be excellent as well. I don't know much about Joe Rocket boots.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
The Sidi's would be my first choice, i've tried them and they fit me good. A-Stars don't fit my foot right for whatever reason, or they'd be a close 2nd.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
While I can't really speak for any of the boots personally, I have the Sidi Strata Evo Air boots and I LOVE THEM.

They are so absolutely comfortable and let a TON of air through.

They're $200 at many places, and are basically the toned down version of what you have there. But yeah, GREAT boots. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of SIDI Vertigo boots, which are the next step up in protection from the Cobras. Riding with them is excellent, pretty much forget you have them on. Walking around with them off the bike isn't too bad either. I would expect similar results for the Cobras. No experience with other boots though. These were my first pair and I am very happy with them.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Try them on, then make up your own mind. SMX-5's get all the talk, but I spent months just trying to find a boot that fitted me. Ended up with Dainese. Not sure style - more of a semi touring boot, but fit, feel and quality are second to none. Love em!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i've got the dainese torque out pro's which are similar, mine have a permanently attached inner shoe which makes them very comfortable, and they can easily be adjusted. they're really quick to put on too

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I find the Sidi's to be more comfortable than the A* in general, better shifter feel through the boot. I'm in the market for new boots too and am considering the Cobra's vs Sidi ST's. The ST is a more race-ready boot, but the Cobra is more comfortable for street riding with a little less protection.

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I ended up going with the Joe Rocket Speedmasters. I stopped by Big#1 in Birmingham and they had the Joe Rocket boots as well as the Alpinestar SMX boots. I tried both on and liked the way the Joe Rockets fit. One of the guys at the part counter said that he uses the Speedmasters as his track day boot. Now I'm ready to ride and break them in. Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Sidi. Those are the "replaceable wear parts" version of my boots. You'll find (or at least I did) that you either have a "Sidi foot" or an "A*s foot". Both offer great comfort and support - but for different shaped feet, it seems.

For me, the air flow was the big decision point - northern california summers can get a little warm, and a little bit of air up the foot can be a very pleasant thing.

Piotrek

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of SIDI Vertigo boots, which are the next step up in protection from the Cobras. Riding with them is excellent, pretty much forget you have them on. Walking around with them off the bike isn't too bad either. I would expect similar results for the Cobras. No experience with other boots though. These were my first pair and I am very happy with them.

I bought these online in 2007, I own perforated model though I still wear them 99% times when I ride. Had a minor fall and pretty serious accident and did not break a foot. I bruised up one foot when a bike fell on me, but nothing had been broken. Expensive, very comfortable, very protective, I bought them online and hit the size just right.

If you have money to spend, do not think twice. I always say, your gear is the only protection between you and the asphalt!

The only thing I worry about is sole replacement. Soles are great, grip to rubber pegs. I really can't complaint about the boots.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not that it matter now - but the Dainese torque out race boots seemed to have great ankle protection as far as keeping the parts aligned when bad things happen so I bought those. Great for wide feet, they breathe at speed, break in is nil, and they were the best fit for me.

Size report:
ME - US9.5 EE wide

Dainese torque out race boot
- US10/EU43 fit me perfect. Note: leathers fit inside. But with Levis and leathers; expect to roll up the jeans.

D

Dave.TX

Nice looking boots. My foot is a 13/14 US depending on the manufacturer (Adidas I wear 14, can wear 13's in most anything else). Saying that I picked up the SMX-5 in a size 48 Euro and they're roomy. They don't flow air very much but then I wear my jeans over the boots. I have a "narrow" foot and these I can wear double socks without them fitting tight. I'll probably go to a different brand next time as these are a little too roomy. Dainese apparently doesn't make anything in their product line that would fit me (I'm 6'4") except maybe gloves, which I wear XXL. I've been a fan of A*'s for years, good quality, but can't fault Sidi, Dainese or any other major brand. You do get what you pay for.