transponder in key question

jags

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all
Just realised that when i purchased my bike i did not get the red key so in a effort to prevent a major problem in ther future I'm now looking into getting the black key cloned which seems to be what is now done if you only have the black key .I have got a price for $115 Aus to cut and clone the black key but the locksmith asked if the transponder in the orginal key is a 4D . Is this correct ? And is there any issues with getting the key cloned i would hate for it to not work and damage the only orginal one key that i have .
Thanks
Rob

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Not exactly sure how the Yamaha system works, but from other systems ive worked with having a cloned key wont help at all. sure it will unlock the steering and turn on the ignition, but it wont start the bike, even if the transponder is "cloned".

As i say im not familiar with this particular system, but those i HAVE worked with that have a "red" key, use it to unlock the immobiliser system so that new keys can access it, as different transponders have different codes.

Usually a cloned key will only work if an original key is in really close proximity to it when it is in the lock, so that the original transponder can disable the imobiliser while the cloned key turns the lock.

Someone please correct me by all means.

Is it possible to get in touch with the person who sold you the bike?

Andrew

Last edited:

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
hey dude

a cloned is that a cloned key

the bike thinks it is the same as the other black key

teh red key just allows u to program the bike to the new black key

who in perth is doing it as i know a few that have done it quite succesfulyl with dukes

and had no issues

funny thing is it takes about 3 mins to cut and clone the key :p

jags

Reaction score
Visit site
yep that my understanding to .The bike thinks that the new cloned key is the same orginal black key with transponder .so in theory in a full set with a cloned key you could have (1) red key,(n1) black key ,(n1) black key ,(n2) black key.

Disco frank ...I rang two places here in perth diamond locks in osb park $160 and lock & stock in belmont that quoted $115 but where a little unsure if they could do it . any chance you would have the details of the places that did it for the dukes ?
thanks
rob