Transition/Photochromic face shield

Panther1911

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered a Shoei rf-1200 helmet.

I have been thinking about ordering a tinted lens and carrying the clear one in my backpack, so if I am out past dark I can change it to clear.

But unfortunately I dont always want to ride with the backpack, so I was looking at the Transitions Photochromic shield.

Any one use one of these type of shields? Is it work the big bucks?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't hold your breath for the Shoei version of the Transitions. :mad:

The guys with the Bell version LOVE them. Well, except for tunnels.

I bought an RF-1200 last April. Walked into a superstore in Ohio planning to buy a Bell RS-1 with the Transitions lens. The sales guy asked questions, like he should have, then suggested the Shoei. Said they were quieter and they had come out with the Transitions also, but that they were not available until probably July. So I bought the Shoei and paid for the shield so they could drop ship it. After several calls over several months I finally cancelled the order for the shield in November and got a refund - I'll grant that it was a speedy one.

Shoei started selling the RF-1200 in late 2013 - I think. Anyway, as early as October 2013 they started advertising that they had a Transitions shield. But I have not found anybody who actually got one of the shields. The customer support guys will tell you that they had quality problems that will soon be fixed. They also said that they never told any sales sites they could start taking orders.

There are no quality problems that take a year to fix. :rolleyes: If they are working to get this shield introduced, the problem could be with the pinlock inserts. I never had one before but I like it. But that should be simple to fix by using another layer. Or by just changing to an anti-fog coating.

Bell has been selling their version for about 2 years. No quality problems. They use the anti-fog approach.

Sorry to be cynical, but I suspect that Bell has an exclusive license for sales in the US. The only other manufacturer that is licensed is Lazer, who is in the EU, Belgium, I think.

The RF-1200 is a WONDERFUL helmet. I just no longer believe that Shoei is being honest about when or whether they will have the Transitions shield.

You can get on an email list with Revzilla to be informed when they get them.

Chris

Panther1911

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the insight.

In that case, I try riding with sunglasses when the helmet comes in, and possibly order a dark smoke or chrome mirror shield at a later date

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Or sign up for Revzilla's list. I did. I know I'm grumpy about this but I really wanted to buy one of those.

The other "possibly" obtainable option is the LCD tinting shield liner. Last time I looked nobody had it in stock.

MX-8 Smoke | e-Tint Motorcycle Visor Insert : E-Tint | Motorcycle Visor Insert, LCD, Instant No Transition Visor Insert

The link for sales on that page is broken, but Revzilla claims to have some in stock, $116.95. The response is instant. It fails to the clear state on power loss. There will be some leakage past the edges but you get that with glasses too. I'm gonna have to look into this some more. They've had problems with bonding to anti-fog coated lenses but the Shoei shields don't use that. Will have to cut the border - not the switching part, to clear the pins.

Thinking, thinking...

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Try a pair of cheap sunglasses under the clear shield if you think you'll be out after dark, but you leave when it's light. Stuff them in your helmet when you hang it on the bike.