trailering fz6 question

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, i leave tomorrow morning to Atlanta from South Florida. A friend was nice enough to lend me their utility trailer with two choke thingys. Pretty sure it does not have shock absorbers so ill be having a heart attack the whole drive up. Anyway, there is a choke on each side of the trailer but I'm only hauling one bike. Do you think ill be ok?
IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1451.JPGIMG_1452.JPG

blahblahblah

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, i leave tomorrow morning to Atlanta from South Florida. A friend was nice enough to lend me their utility trailer with two choke thingys. Pretty sure it does not have shock absorbers so ill be having a heart attack the whole drive up. Anyway, there is a choke on each side of the trailer but I'm only hauling one bike. Do you think ill be ok?
View attachment 68123 View attachment 68124View attachment 68125

You'll be okay. Just don't tighten the tie-down straps so much that your FZ's suspension is fully compressed. Make those straps snug, so they compress the suspension about one inch, but not more. Check the tie-down straps after the first few miles to make sure they haven't loosened.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The trailer is fine.. It's got leaf spring suspension, almost never do they have "shocks".

I would use soft tie's around the lower triple/fork, then the tie downs.

I would also put another set of tie downs around the sub-frame (by the rear pegs), pulling FORWARD.
Should one tie fail, your back up will keep the bike up AND also keep the rear tire from bouncing off to the side (with road bumps)..

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dan,

Forgive me, I know you didn't ask about the other trailer concerns but here are a few driving pointers.

Check the trailer tire pressure (60 psi for many types) and lube the axles - unless the owner did that this year.

Leave extra following distance so you can handle the extra stopping distance.

Be aware of your extra length when changing lanes.

Take any sharp corners extra wide. The trailer will track tighter thru the curve.

Pick your gas stops and parking spots carefully so you don't have to back up, unless you're a master at backing. I'm pretty good at it but I still look for places where I can pull through.

Load and unload only while hitched.

Use tire blocks when you park to unhook the trailer. It WILL start rolling away on even a slope that you think looks flat.

If you park on a slope, the transmission can get locked if the trailer is pushing or pulling on the vehicle. (Not too likely with one FZ6 and a light trailer) Keep your foot on the brake while you shift to park, then set your parking brake and finally take your foot off of the brake.

Best of luck! Please let us know how it went.

Chris

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Dan,

Forgive me, I know you didn't ask about the other trailer concerns but here are a few driving pointers.

Check the trailer tire pressure (60 psi for many types) and lube the axles - unless the owner did that this year.

Take any sharp corners extra wide. The trailer will track tighter thru the curve.

Pick your gas stops and parking spots carefully so you don't have to back up, unless you're a master at backing. I'm pretty good at it but I still look for places where I can pull through.

Use tire blocks when you park to unhook the trailer. It WILL start rolling away on even a slope that you think looks flat.

If you park on a slope, the transmission can get locked if the trailer is pushing or pulling on the vehicle. (Not too likely with one FZ6 and a light trailer) Keep your foot on the brake while you shift to park, then set your parking brake and finally take your foot off of the brake.

Chris

Thanks for the pointers, I'll take all I can get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erickz

Reaction score
Visit site
One suggestion a friend gave me was to put a bungee cord on the tie downs to keep them tight should the bike's compression compress a bit more (thus letting the tie down drop off).

Meagan0624

Reaction score
Visit site
Dan,

Chris

This is what I came here looking for this morning! Like Dan, we see no point in wearing ourselves out on the straight, flat roads of Florida before we reach more interesting terrain.

Thanks for these tips.