Trading in FZ6?

rdabernig41

Reaction score
Visit site
I got to ride a BMW today with the boxer engine in it and ill tell you it was a great experience. The only bad thing is that it makes me want a different bike now. I really like the handlebars and the turning experience i had on that bike. It is completely different then the FZ6 and i thought riding on a bike like that would be uncomfortable but i was wrong. It's actually very comfortable. Now I'm kinda looking at trading in my 2009 FZ6 for a different bike. i was looking at the r6 or maybe upgrading to like a GSXR 750. But i kinda like the more aggressive look of the r6.

How much do you think i would get back on my FZ6? it has 1500 miles on it and is still in perfect condition. Never dumped.

Would you rather go with the r6 or the GSXR 750?

Is a r6 a good upgrade from the FZ? Like i know it handles a little better but what about power wise?

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Which BMW did you ride? I can't speak for the R6 but I love the grunt of my 750!:D You should test ride them both before making any decisions.

rdabernig41

Reaction score
Visit site
It was the one with the 1200cc boxter engine. I dont know what model it was or anything but its a touring bike but it has the lower handlebars and turns very nice. And I'm kinda looking at the 750 more but idk. i like the looks of the r6 better i think lol. its a tough decision.

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
So you enjoyed riding a touring bike and it made you want to buy a supersport bike?

Did you get a deal on the FZ or did you pay msrp?

rdabernig41

Reaction score
Visit site
its a touring bike but it has the handlebars like the r6. i dont know how to explain it. and i paid 7800 for my bike.

rdabernig41

Reaction score
Visit site
and i wanted a r6 before i wanted my FZ. i got the FZ because it was cheaper and at the time didnt really have the money for a r6 and didnt think it would be smart to learn on a r6.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Truthfully, you're probably going to get hosed if you trade your FZ6 in. I'd be shocked if the dealer offered you anymore than $5,500 for your bike. $5,000 is probably closer to their offer if you trade-in.

If you really want to get a different bike, you would do far better by privately selling your FZ6 to another individual. This will get you closer to the actual value of your bike.

This will also give you more time to evaluate what type of bike works the best for you. Don't just lust after different bikes. Instead, try them out by getting test rides. Sometimes a bike looks great in photos, does great on the track, but fails to be comfortable or fit you properly.

Take your time and make the right decision;)

rdabernig41

Reaction score
Visit site
alright. so im just curious but like all around power does the fz have the edge or does the r6? I know the r6 has top end power but what about low end and mid range? this is just a random question i was thinkin about. but i will probably just stick to the FZ for a while.

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a BMW boxer (R1100RT-P) and an FZ. I love them both but they are totally different. For all around the FZ is really hard to beat, and it is a lot faster and more nimble than the boxer. The Beemer is more comfortable on long freeway stretches than the FZ and has much more weather protection. As for as an R6 or a GSXR, for me personally, unless I was planning a lot of track days I can't imagine trading my FZ (or BMW for that matter) for one.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
alright. so im just curious but like all around power does the fz have the edge or does the r6? I know the r6 has top end power but what about low end and mid range? this is just a random question i was thinkin about. but i will probably just stick to the FZ for a while.

Still breaking in my R6 but ...

My 2008 FZ6 with 15T front sprocket felt better in slow speed coming from a stop. The bike's mid range was really good a useable. The R6 is a different animal to compare because redline is about 16.5K RPM where it's I think 12K on the FZ6.

I think FZ6 with 15T sprocket and good suspension setup would do a rider good for a while. Trading a 2009 FZ6 with 1500 miles would give a big loss -- just ask the dealer and see just how much. It's all in how much you're willing to lose. I lost some dough on my 2008 FZ6 with 15K miles but I was ready to dump more money into it to make it more R6-like.

Dennis

adiorio

Reaction score
Visit site
Your gonna take a big loss. But if its something you want, and have the money to point in being unhappy with the current bike.

Not like it matters but the fz6 redline is 14,000 not 12

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Your gonna take a big loss. But if its something you want, and have the money to point in being unhappy with the current bike.

Not like it matters but the fz6 redline is 14,000 not 12

According to MCN the redline is actually 13,300 but who's counting.?

Tim

Last edited:

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
color_r1200rt_polar_preview.jpg

vis_spin_fallback.jpg

drive_trees_m.jpg

These were the new 1200s I found on BMW's website. Was it one of these that you took for a test ride? Just curious:)

Edit: It was probably this one! The HP2 Sport:)
color_hp2s_01_preview.jpg

Last edited:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO You can change the "feel" of this bike a lot with a simple handlebar change (like the FZ1 swap), and making sure you've got the suspension set up correctly (by checking sag front and rear and adjusting preload as needed).

Sounds like you paid full sticker for the bike, however I would guess the trade-in to be more in the $4kish range honestly, just because they always low-ball and will probably want to make $800+ or so in profit on the re-sale.....unless they inflate the trade and don't discount the new one. There are several people looking for clean used bikes on this board so your best luck financially would be a private-party sale.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
i guess none of you have redline it? lol its 14k ive hit the limiter a few times. Unless the tach is way off, and Yamaha misadvertised saying the bike has a real redline of 14k but in reality only be 13.3:confused:

Yamaha FZ6 - First Ride & Review - Sport Rider

from the owners manual:
"The electric tachometer allows the rider
to monitor the engine speed and keep it
within the ideal power range.
When the key is turned to “ON”, the tachometer
needle will sweep once
across the r/min range and then return
to zero r/min in order to test the electrical
circuit.
CAUTION:
Do not operate the engine in the tachometer
red zone.
Red zone: 14000 r/min and above"

I think I have read on here that some have found the redline to be slightly lower during dyno tune sessions...could be variances in the pickup/measuring tool. The tach probably does have a bit of error in it though.

rdabernig41

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive thought about the FZ1 handlebar swap. Where should i look at for them? and if i did that would i have to change a lot on the handlebar controls and what not? or is it just a simple swapping out of the handlebars?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive thought about the FZ1 handlebar swap. Where should i look at for them? and if i did that would i have to change a lot on the handlebar controls and what not? or is it just a simple swapping out of the handlebars?

I thought about the FZ1 swap at the weekend, but when the Yamaha dealer quoted AUS$150 for a new bar, I ended up buying a Rizoma bar for US$78 - looking forward to it arriving.

The FZ1 bar and FZ6 bar should be the same tube size, so you can use your old controls on it.