Track Day!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I kicked off the new riding season at Harris Hill Road with Elite Track Days. I hadn't been on the track since the day after Thanksgiving and it showed, I was rusty. In addition to being rusty I had to learn the new bike.

Today was a very chilly day, started about 48 degrees and finally got up to 65 or so. I took my time on the first three sessions and relearned the map of the track. After lunch things came together and finally I felt comfortable and began to hammer.

The Buell ran GREAT! What an amazing bike. The handling is great, it pitches in very quickly with little effort and requires just a little counter steer to keep from dropping in more. The brakes are great, excellent feel no fade. The power, the power...wow. Third gear wheelies...underwear not included. Much of the morning was re-calibration of my wrist. The FZ6 isn't punchy and the Buell very punchy with about 80 ft lb of torque from 2,500 to 10,000 - flat as a pancake. So when you pin the throttle at 7,500 in third, the wheel comes up. :eek: I ended up going into some corners a gear higher help control this, it also prevents needing to shift half way through a corner.

All in all it was a very fun day and I feel like I'm getting back in the grove.

Here's a video of my last session of the day. Not too happy with the quality. This is an AVI but I had to use iMovie to edit it and I don't know the software well.

The other riders on the track look far away but they are closer, the lens is very fish eyed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9EFo00rc7w[/ame]

Edit: 08/04/09

Okay here's round two on the video edit. For this I used Quick Time Pro, better, but somehow the audio is not synced to the video! I could pull my hair out. I've got about 5 hours into this, editing, converting, loading onto Screwed Up Tube.

So at least the video is of better quality. Rest assured I'd figure out the right combination of editing software and hosting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaPbqiIMbo[/ame]

Last edited:

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I have been looking into getting one of these cameras and I was wondering about the quality. Can you set it to capture in different formats and different compressions? How much did you pay for it? I can help you with iMovie depending on what version it is as I am quite handy at video editing. If the camera lets you you might want to record in a higher quality format although I am sure that it will improve quality it will reduce quality- if that is even an option. I wasn't even sure it would work on a Mac. Any info will be helpful. Thanks

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job on the video, nice skills on the bike too, Pete.

Thanks for sharing.

:rockon:

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
lol, the Buell sounds like a torque monster compared to the FZer! Overall sounds like it was a fun day at the track; thanks for sharing the video! :rockon:

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking into getting one of these cameras and I was wondering about the quality. Can you set it to capture in different formats and different compressions? How much did you pay for it? I can help you with iMovie depending on what version it is as I am quite handy at video editing. If the camera lets you you might want to record in a higher quality format although I am sure that it will improve quality it will reduce quality- if that is even an option. I wasn't even sure it would work on a Mac. Any info will be helpful. Thanks

The raw footage from the camera is very good for such a tiny camera. It creates an AVI file.

Here's a thread that I create about the camera with more details. In this video it fits the You Tube requirements so I didn't edit it at all; straight to YT from the camera. The editing in iMovie seemed to kill it.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/14482-go-pro-camera-test-footage.html

I am using iMovie HD 5.0.2 (111). I'm too cheap to update my iLife Software because I'd need to update from Tiger to Leopard and buy more RAM...

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
The raw footage from the camera is very good for such a tiny camera. It creates an AVI file.

Here's a thread that I create about the camera with more details. In this video it fit the You Tube requirements so I didn't edit it at all; straight to YT from the camera. The editing in iMovie seemed to kill it.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/14482-go-pro-camera-test-footage.html

I am using iMovie HD 5.0.2 (111). I'm too cheap to update my iLife Software because I'd need to update from Tiger to Leopard and buy more RAM...

And that is how mod bugs start life........ :D

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow Pete, you looked to be running qualifying laps! That twin sure sounds different from an inline four, it must take some mental adjustment to pull quick times with a different torque profile.

That track looks to be very smooth and flowing, not a bunch of straights and tight turns. Thanks for sharing, you were simply awesome!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow Pete, you looked to be running qualifying laps! That twin sure sounds different from an inline four, it must take some mental adjustment to pull quick times with a different torque profile.

That track looks to be very smooth and flowing, not a bunch of straights and tight turns. Thanks for sharing, you were simply awesome!

Thanks John, it took some effort and one on one help from Jon at Totalrider.com. I followed his lines several times, then he followed me and we debriefed.

I was trying to figure out, lines, what comes next, where to shift (totally different ratios from the Fizzer) and manage what little traffic we had. We were limited to passing on only two areas but that is okay.

For as cool as the day was the tires stuck well (Pirelli Corsa IIIs) and didn't slip but I had this little voice in my head that was warning to be careful with the throttle. There were times the front end came up a few inches and the bars would wiggle. I'm sure it didn't look like anything but it woke me up.

The track is a lot of fun, not super fast but always turning, braking accelerating. I think the fastest I saw was 115, maybe.

I'm looking forward to going back on a warmer day and exploring the bike some more.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome ride! Thank you for the video.
I really like the Buell. Seen a lot of them in the SD area and would love to have one.
Swapped bikes with my neighbor one day and rode his Ducati Monster and noticed a big difference(V-Twin vs I-4) in where to shift when I got in the fun zone in the back roads here. Again nice riding! :rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Edit bump, new video added, my quest continues!

Hey Screw Tube!!!! :Flip::Flip::Flip:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Here's a thread that I create about the camera with more details. In this video it fits the You Tube requirements so I didn't edit it at all; straight to YT from the camera. The editing in iMovie seemed to kill it.

Even the raw footage from my stinky little camera looks great on the plasma....yours must look awesome.

Top video mate. Really enjoyed watching:thumbup:

Thanks
Mike