Track day next week at RAF Waddington

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
They have to call it a 'riding day', but its the same deal.
Rode it 2 years ago on my GSXF and its the smoothest surface ever - it is an active runway afterall!

I was murdered by the supersport 600s last year, but I'm sure the r6 herritage will let me keep up and compete.

annB2.jpg

As you can see its a nice big track with a straight sure to tell me what my top speed is!

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I was at Waddington in the late 70s when they flew Vulcans out of there. We were just kids in the Air Training Corps and we went to Waddington for our air experienced flights in De Haviland Chipmunks (34 ft 4 wingspan and fabric covered wings).

We were on landing approach and were told by the tower that we needed to get off the runway ASAP after we landed as there was a Vulcan behind us on final approach !!

Before we left we were treated to the sight (and sound) of a Vulcan taking off. The pilot stood it on its tail and opened the throttles and it went vertically upwards. Everything for miles shook !!

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a Vulcan on display on what is just the side of the track.

It's a horrendous distaction when your blasting around trying to remember when a turn comes up but busy checking out the scenery!

rye0470.jpg

Apologies for the watermark, but they wanted £40 for a dvd of 10 photos.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
So the track day was yesteday.
They had changed to course slightly removing one of the main straights, replacing it with 2 chichanes and a hairpin - which was more favourable when up against the likes of R1s, ZX10r etc.

We had 2 good sessions in the morning, first was dry - second was damp.
Then the heavens openen, standing water, piss wet through - bikes sliding out left right and center!
Both of the last 2 sessions I decided to do 1-2 laps then come in, wasn't worth the risk.

Hit 135ish on a straight in headwind, then ran out of track with what felt like plenty left - need to be more confident working the bike harder, out of a corner when I pulled onthe power I was getting small power-wheelies which made my bum a bit squeaky.

Photos should be released soon from the photographer, I wore a gopro of my friends at one point too, so waiting to get the raw footage back from that to compress and upload.