Renting vs buying racesuit, what would you do?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
This might be a very odd question..!

I just started riding, like to go for long drives, twisties if possible, and occasional (call it very rare) track days.
Should I buy the Tracksuit and boots worth 800-1000$ (I'm buying for less off of craigslist) or rent them 50-100$ per day at the track (and no suit for the rest of my rides)? I'm :confused:.
IMHO our FZ6, is a semi-sport beast, but does it look good/necessary to wear a tracksuit all the time, even if I want to go to other city to meet my friends (few hundred miles away)? or just stick to regular gear and buy seperate kneepads and elbow pads/armour?

I'm not sure I'll go for a supersport in future vs a Harley and don't know how long will I keep this bike, based on weather conditions for my next job (as I'm a contractor, Programmer), I might or might not keep the bike for more than 2 yrs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kne...2.1406j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
and
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=elbow pads for motorcycle

vs

https://www.mxmegastore.com/alpines...fG8PujvBqDQ36TCojFZMjLWtMidGGiZTCBRoCsy3w_wcB

and

SIDI Cobra Air Boots - RevZilla

Should I spend the money or suit or buy individual gear?
How useful they will be? Which one returns me more money if incase I want to sell them? I need a brotherly advice..! :)

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Gear is always the best investment for riding. A good leather suit like that good save you its price several times over in medical bills. If you don't really plan on going to the track, maybe buy a two piece suit? Also make sure you include a good back protector in there too! Even a higher priced protector is cheaper than having spinal injuries.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
This might be a very odd question..!

I just started riding, like to go for long drives, twisties if possible, and occasional (call it very rare) track days.
Should I buy the Tracksuit and boots worth 800-1000$ (I'm buying for less off of craigslist) or rent them 50-100$ per day at the track (and no suit for the rest of my rides)? I'm :confused:.
IMHO our FZ6, is a semi-sport beast, but does it look good/necessary to wear a tracksuit all the time, even if I want to go to other city to meet my friends (few hundred miles away)? or just stick to regular gear and buy seperate kneepads and elbow pads/armour?

I'm not sure I'll go for a supersport in future vs a Harley and don't know how long will I keep this bike, based on weather conditions for my next job (as I'm a contractor, Programmer), I might or might not keep the bike for more than 2 yrs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kne...2.1406j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
and
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=elbow pads for motorcycle

vs

https://www.mxmegastore.com/alpines...fG8PujvBqDQ36TCojFZMjLWtMidGGiZTCBRoCsy3w_wcB

and

SIDI Cobra Air Boots - RevZilla

Should I spend the money or suit or buy individual gear?
How useful they will be? Which one returns me more money if incase I want to sell them? I need a brotherly advice..! :)
Buy good boots regardless, $300 for a good pair of boots is nothing if it prevents a broken ankle. Kid I work with crashed at low speed in cheap cycle hear Bilt boots. He's been on crutches for 3 weeks now and just had surgery last week. For Sidi, look at the models: ST, vortice, or Mag1. For alpinestars look at either SMX+ or SupertechR. There's a huge difference in protection with these I just mentioned and their cheaper models. And wear them EVERY time you ride - crashing on the street will hurt just as much as crashing on the track.

For a suit, you should already have a good, protective 1 piece or 2 piece oversuit for your commuting and every day riding. Like I said, street pavement will give you just as much road rash as track pavement. Many track day organizations will let you wear these if they zip together or at least overlap. If you do need leathers, buy used. You can get used ones for $100-$400 on forums or ebay, do research on whatever models you find to figure out sizing. The good thing about buying used gear is you can usually get your money back if you resell it. And it's better to get a used $800 suit for $300, than a new $300 for $300 - the better materials and features in the higher end gear. Almost all my gear I purchased used for this reason.

Another good resource is local forums. Search the net for one in your area, introduce yourself, go on rides, meet people. There's more track day junkies than you think, and in my experience, everyone is super friendly and willing to help you get on track, whether it's letting you borrow gear or at least try it on to get your sizing right.

Post up your height/weight/build and shoe size, maybe someone on here has things in their closet they're not using they'll sell you for a good deal.

Last edited:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly man, I would / did spend the money and buy the right gear i have a very nice leather jacket from alpine stars that is perforated(cold = layers under jacket)350 some great water proof boots by gaerne 180 some good 30 dollar leather gloves from the local Yamaha dealer and some used mesh pants in good shape for 35. Back/chest protector from icon that was like 120
and a 100 dollar set of thor knee pads i don't use because they are uncomfortable,bulky. so were at 815 bucks in gear :eek:

Besides the knee pads that would work great just are uncomfortable when riding agressive(would be great for a harley with straight leg position) i wear the gear daily and its all suitable for the track as the boots,knee fit together for lower body protection and the spine,chest protecter with my jacket that has armor in it (elbows,chest pad,shoulders) cover my top half i wouldnt hesitate to ride like this on the track as the only thing half exposed is my Butt which would be in the mesh pants still.

Half my 800 was on the jacket which i could have gotten used like the pants if i needed too. But i had the money and wanted top of the line.

My Point is you don't need a whole suit for ample protection and whatever you do ride in I don't think it should be changed for the track, being uncomfortable or hot or something will throw your concentration from where you want and need it.

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
ThankYou for the suggestions guys, I'm going for a pair of AlpineStars, I'm searching everyday from past one week and i'm trying one tomorrow, similar size.
I just tried SIDI and came home, they are half as heavy as my ski boots. It's hard to change gears. After standing in them for few mins, my ankle kind of hurt, so learned i should go for US 10.5 to 11.5.
I usually wear 31/31WL and M sized shirts(Tommy, Fitch, Hollister, which became a bit loose lately).
I just bought home A* gloves (without knuckles, good for daily, not sure they'll allow on tracks, so I'll use it for daily use, for 20$).

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Another good thing to do is look on all the sites at their closeouts. With the exceptions of my boots, everything I have bought has been on closeout.

As has been said before, buy the best you can afford. Yes, good gear is expensive. I don't know your situation, but I have young kids, and frankly I can't afford not to have good gear!

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
as of now, I have these two options:
Alpinestars motorcycle leather suit.

Like new Alpinestars racing suit and back protector

Reason: nearby and they are allowing me to try the suit on..!
Hope I can buy tomorrow evening and wear them to ride to Tail of the Dragon.
What's your height/weight? Whats your american shoe size?

That second one is a SG1, it's an older entry-level suit, original price about $600 in 2008, and you can find those for ~$300 on the used market easily (I just sold one in a size 46 a few months ago for $300). And that size 44 will be too big for you - it will probably fit someone about 180-190 lbs.

That first one is a Tech 1-R, it's a high end suit, original price $1400 around 2011. That's a much better buy, if it fits. And those are the older SMX+ boots, those are on my list of good choices above. Here's a video review of that suit (Size 52 euro = 42 US) and you can see how well it fits the model in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVxxfYEBX4

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
What's your height/weight? Whats your american shoe size?

That second one is a SG1, it's an older entry-level suit, original price about $600 in 2008, and you can find those for ~$300 on the used market easily (I just sold one in a size 46 a few months ago for $300). And that size 44 will be too big for you - it will probably fit someone about 180-190 lbs.

That first one is a Tech 1-R, it's a high end suit, original price $1400 around 2011. That's a much better buy, if it fits. And those are the older SMX+ boots, those are on my list of good choices above. Here's a video review of that suit (Size 52 euro = 42 US) and you can see how well it fits the model in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVxxfYEBX4

Thank You Matt, You just saved my day.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got the tech -1R, and the high ankle shoes, both from A*s for 457$. It's time to clean and start using it.
Thanks for your support guys.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO a suit is a waste unless you only go out for fast rides on the street or you'll be tracking the bike.

I have a decent Alpinestars leather jacket, and I picked up a pair of Alpinestars leather pants on CL. They zip together when I go to the track. Buy a pair of kevlar jeans for street riding and wear those with a leather jacket. You'll have good protection and you'll only look like half a power ranger.

People don't mention that walking in a pair of purpose built track boots is goofy at best, and pretty uncomfortable at worst. Not to mention they look pretty silly when in town. I have a pair of TCX S-Race boots that I only wear to the track or when I'm going out for a faster-than-normal ride. Otherwise I wear a pair of TCX X-squared boots. They're not as protective as the S-Race boots, but they're comfortable and have protection built into the heel and ankle. I rode home after a lowside in them.

Whatever you end up buying, I suggest trying to find some used gear. You can recoup more of your investment if your riding style changes.