Touring in the Old Days

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this picture when I was scrolling through my photos this morning.

I bought this Honda CB400N brand new in June 1980 and sold it in April 1982. It had a Moriwaki 2-1 pipe, black chromed, 425cc oversized Moriwaki pistons and a Moriwaki cam.

The speedo was marked to 180km/h and the tacho redlined at 10,000rpm. On a good day I could run both dials into unmarked no-man's land.

This picture was taken at a stop on the way to Durban on holiday one year. This was a 600km ride in those days, and this trip was 2 up. My wife and I went on a 2 week holiday with everything you see in this picture!

I still have the open face helmet tied on top of the pack although I don't wear it.

400N.jpg

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I found this picture when I was scrolling through my photos this morning.

I bought this Honda CB400N brand new in June 1980 and sold it in April 1982. It had a Moriwaki 2-1 pipe, black chromed, 425cc oversized Moriwaki pistons and a Moriwaki cam.

The speedo was marked to 180km/h and the tacho redlined at 10,000rpm. On a good day I could run both dials into unmarked no-man's land.

This picture was taken at a stop on the way to Durban on holiday one year. This was a 600km ride in those days, and this trip was 2 up. My wife and I went on a 2 week holiday with everything you see in this picture!

I still have the open face helmet tied on top of the pack although I don't wear it.

400N.jpg

Complete with "Comstar Wheels"?

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Just letting you kow that the link is broken :thumbup:

fixed, thanks.

I hate that the "url" button automatically fills in "http://" as if copy and paste isn't going to include that.

deeptekkie:

That appears to be a CB550 Super Sport, not a scrambler, but I could be wrong.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Complete with "Comstar Wheels"?

Yep! Those wheels were stock, and I remember some later models came out with the "reversed Comstar" that had inside out "spokes" with black rims and spokes and silver highlights.

Anyone notice the 1980s version of the Stebel Nautilus? I fitted twin Hella horns and they were the business!

When I sold this bike I bought a 1982 CBX550F that had inboard ventilated disc brakes, now THOSE were weird wheels!

I need to do some digging and find a pic of it.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the CBX550F. I had a plain red one, I don't have any digital pics of it so this will have to do.

The brakes were "inboard ventilated discs" (Honda's terminology), the caliper gripped the disc from the inside and the entire brake assembly was enclosed, looking like an old school drum brake. Twin calipers on the front, single at the back.

The advantage was that there was none of the water effect when riding in the rain, the brake performance was the same all the time.

Honda-CBX_550F-1981.jpg

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, good ol' 550 four Honda! Seem to remember it was a 550 f but maybe I'm wrong, it was a while back! If you could get over a ton, downhill with the wind behind you, you were happy!
Bit different to the Fz! (not that I'd ever exceed the speed limit :spank: )
24330_1398832295373_1369249165_31059218_7364563_n.jpg

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm off to the Bulldog Bash on the 12th of August.Going to be the first time I've bunjeed a tent and odds and sods to a bike :D