Tough Bike....MT01 SP! Yum!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just stumbled across this...the MT01 is one big, rough tough bike....i know, cause my best mate rides one....and it's a big thumping, torque monster, that doesnt mind going round corners either, despite it's size....well it looks like Yamaha have just made it better.

They even got rid of those god awful chrome mirrors that they put on a lot of their bikes...including the FZ6N!

View attachment 15033

Here's the link to the story....
http://www.fasterandfaster.net/search/label/Yamaha

:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The MT-01 looks well chunky. Have either of you two ridden each others bike for a comparison?

Matt (Silverback) has ridden my FZ6 a while back, but i havent ridden the MT01 as yet...he has offered it up to me...but aint taken up the opportunity as yet.

But i know, that being a big push rod v-twin, it revs quite slowly, and has a low redline...6000rpm, or thereabouts, so it relies on it's torque for grunt...it also is prone to compession lock up's at the rear, if you come back through the gears a bit too eagerly...have watched a few of those from behind, as big Matty is trying to get it into a corner.

It has plenty of ground coverage, and the suspension works quite well, Matt weghs a lot, and i havnt seen too much wallow from behind.

:thumbup:

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I have ridden a MT01 once, and totally hated it. Man you have no idea how that thing vibrates, it's insane, not comfortable at all. Getting back on my FZ6 from the MT01 was like being caressed by 1.000 angels on a soft dreamy cloud with heavenly music and total relaxation.

The MT01 tends to "fall" into corners, it doesn't keep it's line very well, and it's a lot of work to ride. The torque was less impressive then I expected, and the redline is indeed pretty low. When I talked to my dealer about it, he said "this is a bike that people buy to show off, not to go ride all day long".

So nah, not for me.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ridden a MT01 once, and totally hated it. Man you have no idea how that thing vibrates, it's insane, not comfortable at all. Getting back on my FZ6 from the MT01 was like being caressed by 1.000 angels on a soft dreamy cloud with heavenly music and total relaxation.

The MT01 tends to "fall" into corners, it doesn't keep it's line very well, and it's a lot of work to ride. The torque was less impressive then I expected, and the redline is indeed pretty low. When I talked to my dealer about it, he said "this is a bike that people buy to show off, not to go ride all day long".

So nah, not for me.

I would agree, i have seen and felt how much it vibrates..it's not for me either, but it suits Matt down to the ground, he is a BIG guy, and makes most other bikes look small...he still gets along pretty well on it though...

It also has a fuel range that is absolutely deplorable!

But i still love it...it's got presence...and Matt likes that too.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Would love to hear what Matt has to say.

I an fact adore that bike. My dad wants to add one to our FZ collection just to have something different.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would love to hear what Matt has to say.

I an fact adore that bike. My dad wants to add one to our FZ collection just to have something different.

Will tell the bugger to get his butt in here, and write a review, am sure he will be more than keen.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as a tall rider id like the oppotunity to ride one of these torque monsters,but if funds/lottery win permitted i would have to get a 09 V-max..the statisics,looks and performance are just terrfying

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
as a tall rider id like the oppotunity to ride one of these torque monsters,but if funds/lottery win permitted i would have to get a 09 V-max..the statisics,looks and performance are just terrfying

If you are tall the Vmax will murder your body. It was so awkward sitting on it and I'm just over 5'9. Your knees cram into the air intake. Now the Mt-01 is awesome to sit on.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if I like the looks or not. Cool, but the tank area with the longish chrome? piece on the frame is kinda ruining it for me.

Sure looks good at this angle though...

mt+1.jpg (image)

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to be able to try one out some day. To me this is the sporty bike that Harley should have made. I think it would be a fun Saturday night cruising bike.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a very cool bike!:thumbup: I personally like just about every motorcycle ever made:D.I do prefer to own the yamahas though i have owned just about every brand out there except the china bikes!when i was a kid I would pick up junkers for around $25 bucks get my Dad to haul em home for me figure out why they were broke down and if I could'nt afford to fix em i'de tear em down and store the parts in a huge crate my Dad brought home for me that I made a shed out of .thats how I met most of my freinds because they heard I had parts.:D my brother and I built some realy wild rides in our time when i was 16 I got an 87 kx 125 with a completly broken loose down tube and it couldnt be welded so we took the engine off of a 85 rm 80 we had with a locked up motor and after some major surgerie we had the baddest mini bike on the block!:D........i'm half drunk.I realy don't know what this had to do with the MT01 but I like it!!! :D

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have spent some time in the seat of an Mt-01. Gobs of low end torque, had to work the shifter like crazy because rpm range is 1500-4500. No point in revving it any higher. Fairly comfortable, little or no wind protection. Long distances would require a windscreen of some sort, for sure. It would be awesome around town, pub to pub, coffee shop to coffee shop, but for a daily ride I don't think I could see myself on it. It had SOOOO much attitude though.