Top Saddlery seat: my new seat review...

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
A little off subject but can you send me the prints on the saddle bag holders. I would like something like that for my soft bags.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
I would still consider a TS seat - they are replacing it. That's good service.

exactly. customer service isn't getting everything perfect out the gate. it's being willing to make it right when something goes wrong. that sounds like what they're doing.

oh, and i had a pm from them this morning in response to my pm letting me know that the problem is being taken care of. again, a little step they didn't have to do. not my seat, i don't need to know. but i thought it was good of them to do.

i'll admit, i was a little gun shy because of the run around that jman got a few months ago. but it seems like they are trying now. my seat is nice enough that i'd take the gamble again.

Last edited:

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a TS seat last week before I saw this thread. I have to admit I am curious as to what kind of product that I am getting.

They did send me an email the day after I placed the order because I asked for blue embroidered FZ6 and red piping. They wanted to know if it was correct. What I wanted was black piping. They confirmed that they received my email.

Wish me luck.

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks to all for your support.

Kamloops wrote: "I will point him to this and advise him not to buy a TS seat." But as said dean owens, don't take it so straight, Kamloops, please... It seems their customer service is moving to be better and maybe some stories like this one may force them to be more careful with their quality craftsmanship and control in the future (I do hope so for the future customers!).

Please don't take me wrong:
1) This is the story of MY Top-Saddlery seat. That's to say one of the hundreds or more they are manufacturing in one year... I guess all the seats are not so bad... Many on this forum (and elsewhere) are happy with theirs. And I should be happy too (and proud, yes!) if I didn't get any problem.
2) I just wanted to alert mates here who are considering to purchase a T-S seat to be at least cautious... To let them know what can happen. As I should do for any thing I should be getting problem with. For part these pages are made for...
3) I'm not a killer. And I don't want, by far, the death of Top-Saddlery here. I just wish things will be going smoother later for the benefit of all and for mine in particular. IMHO they have a very good product in hands but it happens they are sometimes at fault, harming genuine customers/riders. And this can't be in any way when one wants to have a top notch international dimension and reputation...
4) Through numerous e-mails with pictures I sent to the company I fought to get a true serious solution to my problem: I didn't want a QUICK REPAIR! It was VERY difficult and discouraging at first (no answer, answers delayed and so on) and suddenly all seems going better... Thanks to your support through this forum? Maybe...

I withdraw nothing of my previous posts. My true enthousiasm at first as well as my deep desappointment in a second time.
But right now, things appear to move in a better way: they agree to replace my whole "wrong" seat by a whole new one (being manufactured yet as they inform me today) with free shipping to my door. Good move...

Thanks to all, here. I let you informed...

Cheers,
Gobs

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick update / gripe about my experience ordering a Corbin:

1. Placed the order via the innerwebs on (I just had to look it up jesus h christ) March 4th. Got an automated email confirming the order, etc.

2. Heard nothing for 6 weeks.

3. Emailed, and was told in response "it's right on target, 4-6 weeks from your date of order per your pdf!" What pdf? What the f_ck is he talking about? Now in the meantime what had actually happened was nothing... the particular fabric I'd asked for was back-ordered. He didn't look this up, he just said, effectively, "it's been just a gnat's ass hair under the maximum amount of time we tell you it might take, so I don't have to actually check into it yet." So no work had been done yet, and none was going to be done until the fabric came in, if and when it ever did, and I assumed it would be done and shipped within days, because... what else was I to assume? They didn't email or call or even look into it when I asked.

4. Waited 10 more days, wrote back, heard nothing for 2 days.

5. Wrote 2 people, heard nothing for a day, and finally called the 1-800 number. This was early last week. The guy dug around and discovered the fabric back order issue. "When's it coming in?" He didn't know. "Well, do you have the black carbon fabric in?" Yep. "Ok let's change it all to that." Ok, he says, it will get made and shipped this week.

6. Friday, no email. Monday, no email. Today I emailed, and got back a tracking number saying it shipped on the 20th, and is "on the truck for delivery." So it all happened, I guess, and they shipped it, but the communication is teeeeeeerrrrrible. Awful.

I hope it's comfortable.

quix

Reaction score
Visit site
Gobs, I've been following your plight with a great deal of interest! Hopefully the new seat will resolve your issues!

I was wondering, has your wife had a chance to ride on the back yet? I'm really curious. I'm looking for a replacement seat for my FZ6 because my wife refuses to ride on the back of mine because of the sharp incline of the passenger seat and this seat looks like it might resolve it.

Thanks!

quix

Reaction score
Visit site
By the by, Givi makes some saddle bags similar to the one he has here and sells racks that fit the later FZ6 models as well.

Racks: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3740/660/

Soft saddle bags: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4069
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4070/579/

I don't own them, so I can't personally vouch for their quality. But several other members of this forum do if you wanted to search around for testimonials.

Nice saddle bags. Can you tell us what they are and where did you get the frames that hold them on?
I havn't seen anything like that in Australia and they look great.
Chhers
Rumpole

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for a replacement seat for my FZ6 because my wife refuses to ride on the back of mine because of the sharp incline of the passenger seat and this seat looks like it might resolve it.

For what it's worth, I had the same issue - too much slope to the pasenger section. So in the comments on the order, I asked them to move the split between the seats an inch towards me (I'm short anyway) and to make the rear section closer to level.

**As I type this, it just arrived. Pics shortly. Damn their packaging is very good, foam-in-place dunnage bags are the bomb.**

quix

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. So they are moving the seat closer to you, but keeping the continuing the decline until they reach it or maintaining a level until your seat? Sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to put it into words.

It would seem to me that rather then moving the split, they would want to lift up the slope as it reaches towards the driver to compensate for the drop. Does moving the split further forward accomplish that somehow?

For what it's worth, I had the same issue - too much slope to the pasenger section. So in the comments on the order, I asked them to move the split between the seats an inch towards me (I'm short anyway) and to make the rear section closer to level.

**As I type this, it just arrived. Pics shortly. Damn their packaging is very good, foam-in-place dunnage bags are the bomb.**

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Well... sigh... they did level out the rear section to make it less sloped towards me. But they didn't move the break between Rider and Passeneger closer in towards the handlebars, they moved it slightly further back towards the top box. For a 5'5" rider. Who asked for the opposite. So now the slope is much better, you definately aren't pitched forward so much sitting back there, but even my skinny ass has less than ample room front-to-back. It looks like the passeneger lost about an inch, maybe 2, in seat length.

misc2010.jpg

F_ck it I'm done. My half of the seat is comfy, so far, haven't ridden yet but it feels good. And with a 7 month old baby, I don't drive the wife around anymore at all really.

I'm keeping it.

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for your interest.
Yesterday I just received a message from Top-Saddlery saying they send me my new seat by UPS on Friday 30th...
So, maybe delivery next week: I can't wait :cheer:

Sorry to hear you had some problems with Corbin cap'n. Your seat looks great though the rear part seems "shorter". Can't you return it to Corbin for the right mod you asked?

Quix, sorry but my wife didn't had a ride with the Top-Saddlery seat yet. But in the garage and on the center stand, she felt it was far better for her. I didn't ride it myself too much: just for some tests. For the moment I'm riding my bike with the stock seat: the actual T-S seat is too ugly and better not to damage it before to return it to France!
Please look at the 2 pics attached: maybe you can see the rear part is "longer, wider and thicker" on the T-S seat than the stock one.
On the T-S seat you have less front/back room for the rider and more room for the passenger. But no matter and not a concern for me as I'm sat in a "touring" straight position when riding, and so rather "wedged" in the hollow of the seat... In case of "racing" riding I suppose it may be a concern. But T-S seat are made for more comfort not for more performance... Well, I guess...

Cheers,
Gobs

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a TS seat last week before I saw this thread. I have to admit I am curious as to what kind of product that I am getting.

They did send me an email the day after I placed the order because I asked for blue embroidered FZ6 and red piping. They wanted to know if it was correct. What I wanted was black piping. They confirmed that they received my email.

Wish me luck.

I received my seat today. I placed the order on April 15 and as you can read above, I incorrectly ordered red piping. They caught the error and after the correction I am pleased to get the seat so quickly. It looks great and feels good too.

Oh well..........that's my experience........let the buyer beware

View attachment 27286

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
Dang, I ordered my seat on the 15th. I know it didn't arrive today, but maybe in the next day or two.

On second thought, it is going to be raining here starting tonight straight through Tuesday night, so I won't be able to ride until Wednesday anyway, and having the new TS seat that I want to try out might make that unbearable.

AIrey1507

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered mine April 16. According to Top Sellerie (and the tracking website), it was "preparing to leave the country of origin" on April 17. Two weeks later and that's still the status :rolleyes:

I'm beyond upset over the whole situation. Of course I've already been charged for the seat and although I've e-mailed Top Sellerie, there's nothing they can do since it's in the hands of the shipping company. I e-mailed the shipping company (after spending an hour translating drop down menus in their customer service section) and they sent me a reply that made no sense and wasn't at all helpful.

I'm taking a 5,500 mile trip in two weeks. My seat better come soon :(

MaxRyan

Reaction score
Visit site
This might not help you but many times I have received an international package while it was still in that state when looking up the tracking number. It is just like it hasn't been updated or something.

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi AIrey1507,

Sorry to hear what happens to you...
Maybe try to send a message here:

[email protected]

If I understood good, this man is something like a senior officer in Top-Saddlerie (but not sure). At least I traded with him about the "big" decisions. And in my case, he has been very helpful...
I don't know if he "speaks/reads" English though as I managed everything through french language.
If can help...

And I agree with you and MaxRyan: if using "La Poste-Colissimo" for shipping, they have a useless tracking system for international shipping (maybe OK inside France?). I previously received my first seat at my door while they informed me "preparing to leave the country of origin" on their website :eek:

About that:
This time Top-Saddlery sent my "new/replacement" seat through UPS on the 28th of April. And I already know through UPS website the seat has arrived in Bangkok yesterday morning (1st of May) and the scheduled delivery date is on Tuesday the 4th here in Chiang Mai...
UPS parcel-tracking system is very efficient!

Cheers,
Gobs

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, my wife just called me to inform me that I have a rather large package at the house. The only thing that i am waiting on is my seat.:rockon:

Ordered 4/15 (custom, not in stock unit) and recieved 5/3. Now to just hope that it is in good condition when I get home and unpack it.

y0s_bikey

Reaction score
Visit site
Yo Gobs, nice review here. Reading from 1 of the post you says that you spent $500 for the seat. That is in what currency? USD? I'm from Singapore and we are pretty much near haha, very interested in the seat as well. As Previously I asked them for shipping quote and they quoted me $98.20. Wanna find out more on the pricing to see if its really worth the investment... Ain't cheap man...