Top Gear USA

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have had the real, original, proper Top Gear on TV here for years now. I even remember seeing James May's first appearance.

Then they subjected us to to Top Gear Australia which was nauseating, mainly due to the accents of the presenters. I think I endured about 45 seconds over 3 or 4 episodes.

Now we have Top Gear USA. I guess 35 years of American TV have numbed us to the accents but GOD this is garbage too, what the hell is next, Top Gear Afghanistan?

Seeing Redneck Stig drive some oversized pickup called Veloci-Raptor was mildly amusing but FFS this is truly crap TV.

I know, "change channels" but I would love to grab the programme buyer and bash his head with my Shoei.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I love the original (TG-UK) and tried to hate TG-USA, but we kept watching it in the "off season" just to get a fix. It's actually grown on us. Rutlidge Wood is a riot and Tanner can drive the hell out of a car. Not sure yet what Adam Ferrara adds, but I'm sure it's something.

The trick is to forget about TG-UK when you're watching it. Act like the name is a complete coincidence. You'll warm up to it.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I love the original (TG-UK) and tried to hate TG-USA, but we kept watching it in the "off season" just to get a fix. It's actually grown on us. Rutlidge Wood is a riot and Tanner can drive the hell out of a car. Not sure yet what Adam Ferrara adds, but I'm sure it's something.

The trick is to forget about TG-UK when you're watching it. Act like the name is a complete coincidence. You'll warm up to it.

I pretty much agree with everything you said (and my reasons for watching the US version are the same...the "off-season"). I really like Rutledge Wood and Tanner Foust, but Adam Ferrara gets on my ever-loving nerves. He doesn't add anything other than a smart mouth. He's not funny...he's not entertaining...he's just a loud-mouthed idiot.

And I completely agree, the trick is to absolutely forget about the original when watching the US version. It's not even in the same universe, but it's better than watching Seinfeld reruns...LOL.

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I could watch the BBC Top Gear alllllll day. The US version - not a chance. Only seen a couple episodes and only when absolutely nothing else was on. That was about all I could handle

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would probably like the American version ok had I not ever seen the "real" Top Gear first. It seems they are trying too hard to be just like the British version, kind of like it's put-on too much. It's like they watch Jeremy, James & Richard 1st & then say, "Hey, let's do that, but only with boring American cars!" I do like Tanner, though. I've seen him on other programs on the Speed channel & he really can drive!