Took the GF to look at bikes...

D

Dave.TX

... she wanted to see the Triumphs. So I took her to Lone Star BMW/Triumph in Austin. She sat on and really likes the Triumph Bonneville. She doesn't have her motorcycle license endorsement yet but I'll help her out with that. As much as she likes to ride 2 up and I like having her along it would be a blast to have her accompany me on rides with her own wheels. That's a ways down the road, though.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In general, passengers make great operators. One of the most difficult things to teach a new rider is to get the bike to initiate lean in order to corner. Passenger already knows how to do that.

You should go take the BRC with her for kicks and support her. You would both have fun. Plus, it's always nice to have a mixture of riders in class, somebody has to go first and I would have a good guess that the RC's would be picking you.

D

Dave.TX

Yeah, Humpy. They are nice bikes and if she gets one then I will be able to ride it some. :thumbup:

I also like the Scrambler's but I'll prolly wind up getting a KLR650 or similar in the next couple of years to do dual sport riding.

When she does take the class (required in Texas) I'll go with her unless she expressly states she doesn't want me there. Would be fun to do it over again. I was the only one in my group that aced the riding portion when I did it. Took me another 7 or 8 months to get the license endorsement (I wasn't in a hurry).

Melody and I are getting along really, really well. She'll be teaching 1st grade this coming year and after that (and her daughter graduating high school) we've already talked about her moving in with me. When that happens of course we'll be able to save more and get her a bike. We've already thrown around the marriage thing and we're both for it though it isn't official yet. :eek:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
In general, passengers make great operators. One of the most difficult things to teach a new rider is to get the bike to initiate lean in order to corner. Passenger already knows how to do that.

Very true. I was taught that leaning the bike too far is better than going wide off a corner and crashing into a tree at full speed. New riders tend to freak out if they approach a corner too fast for their skill level and they usually either lock up the brakes or go wide off the curve. Low siding is usually the lesser of two evils if you come in too hot!

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a Bonneville T100 for a couple years. Loved that bike and I do miss it. Wish I could have kept it and overhauled it with British Customs parts... but until I get rich I have to have a 1 bike at a time rule.

Good luck with everything man. Hope it works out!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, Humpy. They are nice bikes and if she gets one then I will be able to ride it some. :thumbup:

I also like the Scrambler's but I'll prolly wind up getting a KLR650 or similar in the next couple of years to do dual sport riding.

When she does take the class (required in Texas) I'll go with her unless she expressly states she doesn't want me there. Would be fun to do it over again. I was the only one in my group that aced the riding portion when I did it. Took me another 7 or 8 months to get the license endorsement (I wasn't in a hurry).

Melody and I are getting along really, really well. She'll be teaching 1st grade this coming year and after that (and her daughter graduating high school) we've already talked about her moving in with me. When that happens of course we'll be able to save more and get her a bike. We've already thrown around the marriage thing and we're both for it though it isn't official yet. :eek:
Congratulations, you get a bike and a Bride. I hope it all works out for you both.
Nelly

D

Dave.TX

... until I get rich I have to have a 1 bike at a time rule.

I hear ya, that's pretty much how I am now. Making payments on a truck and a bike so no room for any extra toys (can't afford them). If federal taxes go up anytime soon that's less dinero in the pocket too. I presume local taxes will be inching up shortly.

I've been single almost my entire life with a few roommates here and there and 1 ex wife from a short marriage. I'm really hoping we work out, it'll be nice to have two incomes though we'll never get rich from a school teacher and a cop incomes. But money doesn't equal happiness.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife has a FZ6 and has been riding for almost 20 years. She is a good rider and when we go out she rides at a pace she's comfortable with. She never gets upset with me if I leave her behind in some great twisties!! :Sport: I love the fact that we can jump on the bikes and hit the road to have lunch in some small town diner somewhere. It keeps things lively and different and I think its one of the reasons that we have such a strong relationship. I'd say go for it!!