Took the Ducati out for a spin....

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The fizzer was parked for the winter a week ago and today was up to +7°C. WTF, so I decided to take the Ducati 999R out for a ride. :D

attachment.php

Okay, not really riding, but for a 1/5th scale R/C bike, it kind of looked real.

It's Thunder Tiger's electric version of the Duc. The steering on this is a little sensitive, and if you've never driven an R/C truck or car before, give yourself a lot of area to try this thing out, like in store parking lot size. I tried it in a new housing development area, no houses yet, in a cul-de-sac, and that was barely wide enough. I kept scraping the side guard wires on the asphalt and even launched it in the air at the end of the curb. This thing needs very little control input even with the dual rate cranked. Turning is like on a real bike, counter-steering style, and leaning the bike is tricky when you’re not actually on it so visual judgment is key. It’s got some road rash on the bottom sides, but them scratches are war stories, right? :rolleyes:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking at these afetr seeing a video clip of them racing.
How long does the battery last and take to charge?
What distance are you in contact with the bike and what happens when it goes out of radio distance?
I am thinking of getting one to race on the local go cart track.

Steve

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How long does the battery last and take to charge?
The bike came with a 7.2V 2400mAh NiMH :cheer:, this is great because the manual indicated that it should either be a 1500 or 1800 NiCad. NiMH is better, does not retain memory like the NiCad and has higher amp-hour rating. So, since I've only had it out once, I can only give you a theoretical. With my amp meter, it draws about 3.2A continuous load, so that equates to 45 minutes from full charge to dead which I don't recommend. I had it out there for 15 to 20 minutes of putzing around and felt it still had plenty of juice. If you're going to a track, I would recommend getting a spare pack or 2. The kit comes with a wall charger and it indicates a 55 minute charge. The battery should be cooled down before charging as a 3 amp draw will get the battery warm. If this is a concern with batteries, then I would suggest the nitro version Ducati that runs on nitro-methane fuel, endless supply of energy (or a gallon of it which would probably last you all day at the track) just need to charge the receiver batteries from time to time. Nitro is a little messier, noisier, and requires some additional field equipment, like starter, glow driver, fuel pump and/or bottle, handle towels and cleaner.

The transmitter uses 8 AA batteries. They will need replacing or re-charging from time to time as well. I would think these batteries will last about an hour to two, from experience with other transmitters. I would either carry an extra set of rechargeable or disposable AA's. Charge time can be 30 minutes if you have the right charger that can do 8 AA's at a time. ;)

What distance are you in contact with the bike and what happens when it goes out of radio distance?
This radio operates at 27MHz. I would believe at minimum you’ll have ½ mile radius coverage, but that’s not your problem. It’s actually seeing it and the orientation of the bike at that distance. To race it around on a go-cart track will be a problem. Most R/C car and buggy tracks aren’t that huge, typically the size of a couple of tennis courts maybe. The drivers are usually on an elevated stand so they can see over the whole track. To race at ground level becomes more difficult as the size of the track increases. A buddy of mine had a TMAXX truck as do I, and he was driving it down his laneway at the acreage away from him. It got out of range, which was probably due to low battery than anything, and it kept on going until it hit the ditch. The settings in the truck stayed at their last position, i.e. throttle and steering, so it just kept on going. There was no mention of fail-safe on this radio, but I tried running the bike on a stand and then turned off the transmitter, the motor stopped, so I guess it won’t run away on you. LOL :rolleyes:

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, again....:(

Go to Youtube and search on Thunder Tiger Ducati 999R, there are I think 12 videos on there and will kind of show you where they're driving, and the kind of course they're on.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it was 3°C again today; saw a couple of Goldwings riding around. Around here, riding into November is actually pretty good! Last year at this time there was already a couple of inches of snow on the ground.

Today I decided to take the Ducati out to the mall parking lot instead; much bigger area but definitely not as smooth as new pavement. Big difference here though, lots of room, didn’t hit anything and found out it has a 20 foot turning radius, without dragging the “frame sliders”. :eek: Not true to scale IMO.

Anyway, this time I brought the camera along and took some pictures.

attachment.php

Notice the 1/5th scale size of the bike compared to my medium sized Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet.

attachment.php

I seem to be wearing out the frame sliders on the bike quicker than I thought. Hmmm, wonder if I can get some Uncaged sliders?

attachment.php

No chicken strips on this baby. :D

can it wheelie?

With the larger play area, I tried, and no-go, couldn't do a wheelie. :( Probably need to drop a tooth on the front. LOL

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No chicken strips on this baby. :D
With the larger play area, I tried, and no-go, couldn't do a wheelie. :( Probably need to drop a tooth on the front. LOL

:rof:

That looks pretty cool Daryl, I'd seen plenty of RC cars and helicopters but never a bike :thumbup:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool pics man!

Are the posts that hold the body on plastic? I broke one of them on mine while I was taking it apart, and am going to replace the others with metal. I also notcied the chain was way tight out of the box. I haven't had a chance to start it yet, but when I do I'll take lots of pics and a video.:D

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool pics man!

Are the posts that hold the body on plastic? I broke one of them on mine while I was taking it apart, and am going to replace the others with metal. I also notcied the chain was way tight out of the box. I haven't had a chance to start it yet, but when I do I'll take lots of pics and a video.:D

My frame posts are a red plastic, however they seem to be the same size as the Raptor aluminum posts, just need to cut them down to size.

My chain easily has a 1/4" slack. My manual doesn't state a slack tolerance, but I see that the nitro manual indicates 2mm of slack.

I think what's trick about the nitro version you have is it comes with a rear disc brake and steering dampener assembly. Mine doesn't have that bling, oh well. :(

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep the Raptor posts are the ticket for sure, I noticed they looked exactly the same except for the length. TT is keeping it all in the family. I just placed a order.

My frame posts are a red plastic, however they seem to be the same size as the Raptor aluminum posts, just need to cut them down to size.

My chain easily has a 1/4\" slack. My manual doesn't state a slack tolerance, but I see that the nitro manual indicates 2mm of slack.

I think what's trick about the nitro version you have is it comes with a rear disc brake and steering dampener assembly. Mine doesn't have that bling, oh well. :(

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it was a little cool on the hands today, but I took it out and grabbed some video. It's 5 minutes long :eek: but I thought there were some funny moments. I laughed, then I cried, you'll see....

Ducati 999R R/C EP

P.S. I was rippin' around for a good 15 minutes when I decided I couldn't feel my hands anymore. All I can say to the end, son of a b@%$#! Oh, and I didn't mean to do half those manouvers either.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Haha... your video was great! Thanks for sharing. You had my full attention all the way to the end, especially when you wiped out the camera. Great stuff!

Maybe I can put one of those on my Christmas list this year. :D

X

S

somedayrider

they do wheelie look at youtube!!!!! theres alot of videos!!!!look fun bd43 my computer isnt showing the video it wont work....