To Downshift or Not to Downshift? That is the Question.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be related to my use of the clutch while downshifting... I have been noticing that my shift lever "goes limp" occasionally. Very bad. I adjusted the clutch lever action to take out slack in the cable and lubed the cable where I could. This has helped a lot. My shifts are actually quite a bit cleaner with the friction zone way out there at the end of the lever throw, and there hasn't been a return of the floppy shifter. Bueno.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I downshift when coming to any stop. Safety, extra consistent braking power, and sounds so freakin sweet while rev matching.

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be related to my use of the clutch while downshifting... I have been noticing that my shift lever "goes limp" occasionally. Very bad. I adjusted the clutch lever action to take out slack in the cable and lubed the cable where I could. This has helped a lot. My shifts are actually quite a bit cleaner with the friction zone way out there at the end of the lever throw, and there hasn't been a return of the floppy shifter. Bueno.

another check you could do is to remove the throttle tube and check for corrosion on the last 4 inches of the handle bars,i had to clean off the rust and grease the throttle tube,mine was really rusty and i dont ride in the rain,the mod allows more precise engine blipping and gearshifts are now near perfect,picked this fix up on here
nick