• Never use it just listen to the bike

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I feather the clutch all the time in first gear sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Typically when driving in the city I use it but when I get out on the interstate for my commute I don't.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Mostly clutched shifting here. Although I do occasionally go clutchless, mostly on commutes.
When attacking the curves I usually use very little clutch movement and preload the shifter.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless I'm accelerating VERY slowly, I always clutchless upshift.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you can set the RPM to shift at whatever speed or RPM you want. One would think that in traffic it would benefit you, don't have to clutch here or clutch there, just maintain at a certain RPM( B4 i open my mouth and give wrong info i am going to read it again.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the clutch when starting off and then into secind gear then I go clutchless. It is a lot smoother. Of course downshifting I use it.

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
I use it everytime I change gears.... I think I have not enough experience to do it clutchless.... Oh well, I will get there by the time I guess....

akauff9

Reaction score
Visit site
I read an extensive article in one of the motorcycle magazines, I can't remember which one, that said if performed properly...no damage would occur to the trans or clutch. I go clutchless when I upshift, from 1st to 2nd is a little touchy but can be done smoothly, the rest of the gears go by very smoothly regardless if I am getting on it or not.The gear ratios on the fz are so close...upshifting this way is preferable. I can definitely shift much smoother now that I adopted this method. I also can control the bike a little better when I don't have to worry about the clutch all the time.
I do however use the clutch when I downshift or skip gears when cruising in slow traffic.

:D

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Hello,

that you can shift without clutch is new for me. Can you only shift up without clutch or can you shift down, too? (Without damaging something)

BR Robert

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ 1) Make sure the bike is warmed up, 2)pre-load the shift lever, 3)then shift. This works best during and up shift, for a down shift, use the clutch. :thumbup:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of highways, anyone ever tried riding on the highway in first or second? People stay the **** away from you :D

Also once I accidently downshifted from 3rd to 2nd without the clutch, and it was the smoothest and fastest shift I've ever done. But I use the clutch all the time just incase.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i never wanted to go clutchless, just fear of burning it up was always in the back of my mind (wet clutch or not) but after the first time by accident, it felt so smooth, i have not used the clutch higher than 2nd since.

tag1963

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. So I tried it. Shifting without using the clutch lever. Ok, what's the big deal? I don't quite understand the advantage of using or not using the lever. I mean all you're doing is squeezing a lever. :don'tknow:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Ok. So I tried it. Shifting without using the clutch lever. Ok, what's the big deal? I don't quite understand the advantage of using or not using the lever. I mean all you're doing is squeezing a lever. :don'tknow:

Sometimes it's just a faster and easier way to shift. I manily use it on the highway. When you are accelerating hard, it's nice to just pre-load that shifter with your toe and blip the throttle and 'snick, you're in the next gear. It's fast and smooth and if done right, you've changed gears before you even realize you've done it!

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I quickshift or hardshift as I've heard it when I'm tucked on the highway, or accelerating very quickly. I use my clutch 99% of the time i'm shifting (down or up).

Another scenario to quickshift is when your accelerating popping your wheel up into a wheele and your RPM's level off before you hit your balance point - I don't have the balls or skills for that yet though