Tire pressure

caliboy02r1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone. I've been lurking this forum about a month. I bought an '07 fz6. I was bikeless for six years but finally back in the saddle. So my bike has bridgestone bt020's (I think). I forgot to ask the guy I bought it from if they are the stock tires. They have close to 8k miles. Well I was just wondering what tire pressure do you guys like to keep your tires at? It's been six years since I've rode a bike but if I remember correctly some people only inflate their tire to like 30 psi for more contact patch/grip. Somebody please school me again.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tyre pressure depends a bit on your weight, whether you have a pillion etc.

The tyre placard reads as folows:

TYRE INFORMATION
Cold tyre normal pressure should be set as follows:
  • Up to 90kg (198lbs) load
Front: 225kpa (33psi)
Rear: 250kpa (36psi)
  • 90kg (198lbs) - maximum load
Front: 250kpa (36psi)
Rear: 290kpa (43psi)

I run mine at F:35 and R:39 and it suits me fine.

Cheers,
Rick

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 180 without gear and run the OE-spec. 33/36 and that seems best. I've found that lower pressure than that, unless it's just a psi or two makes the bike turn poorly.

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
So, if you have different tires than what came on it stock, should you run the recommended psi that is on the bike, or should you run the psi that is on the tires?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone. I've been lurking this forum about a month. I bought an '07 fz6. I was bikeless for six years but finally back in the saddle. So my bike has bridgestone bt020's (I think). I forgot to ask the guy I bought it from if they are the stock tires. They have close to 8k miles. Well I was just wondering what tire pressure do you guys like to keep your tires at? It's been six years since I've rode a bike but if I remember correctly some people only inflate their tire to like 30 psi for more contact patch/grip. Somebody please school me again.

If you're still on the BT-020 tires they are old. I don't think Bridgestone makes those anymore. The BT-023 is the replacement. Motorcycle tires are not like car tires in 2 areas. If you have a tire failure on a car you won't hit the ground. It's different on a bike. The compounds that give a motorcycle grip in a turn degrade over time and the tire looses it's performance.
Run the PSI specified for the bike...:D

So, if you have different tires than what came on it stock, should you run the recommended psi that is on the bike, or should you run the psi that is on the tires?

Run the PSI spec for the bike... :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could also shot an e-mail to Bridgestone tech dept for advice.
I have gone this route before with different rubber and had good customer support.
My personal opinion is ride the 33/36.
Nelly

caliboy02r1

Reaction score
Visit site
Tyre pressure depends a bit on your weight, whether you have a pillion etc.

The tyre placard reads as folows:

TYRE INFORMATION
Cold tyre normal pressure should be set as follows:
  • Up to 90kg (198lbs) load
Front: 225kpa (33psi)
Rear: 250kpa (36psi)
  • 90kg (198lbs) - maximum load
Front: 250kpa (36psi)
Rear: 290kpa (43psi)

I run mine at F:35 and R:39 and it suits me fine.

Cheers,
Rick

Where did you get this info from if you dont mind me asking. One of the reasons I started this whole thread was because the only writing regarding psi on my tire was "42 psi max load". I'm only 175 lbs so thats no where near max load. Thanks for all the replies. I think I remember I used to ride 32 front/32 rear on pirelli diablo's on my old bike. When I got the bike the seller had them at 36/36 so I've been riding that way until I got more info. So i'll drop it a little and see how it feels. I think I'll need new tires by fall, so I'll start reading more tire threads to figure out what's new with tires. Thanks everybody.