Tips on pumping gas

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its old news that filling up when its cold, yes I'm sure it "helps" get you a very minuscule amount more of gas but in reality since we do not live in areas were subterranean tanks would have a temperature difference of 30-40 degrees it makes the change in temperature negligible.

For you to have any sort of monetary savings you would have to live in an area that is 100+ during the day and <30 over night. On top of that to make it worth it you would more than likely have to purchase 20-30 gallons.

The people that operate gas stations may not be smart but those who own them are, and if there was really a difference they would find a way to adjust it to reduce any benefit for the consumer.
In my link above, it's pointed out that higher temperature "may" increase the size of the pumping volume in the pump; and since it's more susceptible to air temperature changes than the buried gas reservoir, that'd mean you get more gas when you pump during the day! :BLAA:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how many of you have been around this forum long enough to remember the thread about how to pump gas, park the bike or remain sitting on it.
What a long mess that was! (if I get bored I'll dig it up)

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
In my link above, it's pointed out that higher temperature "may" increase the size of the pumping volume in the pump; and since it's more susceptible to air temperature changes than the buried gas reservoir, that'd mean you get more gas when you pump during the day! :BLAA:

My point was that if anything was a large enough benefit for us to alter when and where we get gas those companies would quickly adapt to it and reduce this advantage immediately.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also found this interesting:

Gasoline coefficient of thermal expansion.

(make sure to read the single comment, below)

I don't know much about how gas pumps work, but that sounds like an exaggeration to me. Besides, I would think that the flowing gas would cool or heat anything it came into contact with to the gas temperature relatively quickly.

It's true though that measuring liquids by volume is problematic because of temperature, just like the comment pointed out. All of my calibrated lab equipment states the temperature at which it was calibrated for that reason. In fact, if I have to make a solution with high precision I weigh everything, even the liquids.

Last edited:

Bri

Reaction score
Visit site
I think something that trumps everything mentioned in this post is filling up at one of those pumps that has one hose for all 3 grades of gas. My ASSUMPTION is that the hose remains full of whatever was pumped last. The hose, pump, and line volumes all after the selector valve probably are close to 1 gallon of fuel so if they aren't drained and I pump premium after someone pumped regular, I'm throwing away ~30 cents.

For that reason I usually look for the pumps that have a separate hose for each grade of fuel when I'm buying premium.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
I was once an Oil Inspector & all he said or wrote was true. Temperature, slow pump, not pumping gas when the Gas Truck is there ( Sediment Stirrup from the bottom of the Dealer Tanks, etc...

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was once an Oil Inspector & all he said or wrote was true. Temperature, slow pump, not pumping gas when the Gas Truck is there ( Sediment Stirrup from the bottom of the Dealer Tanks, etc...

Where is the gas drawn from such that it doesn't suck up stuff from the bottom of the tank? And if there is gunk, don't they have inline filters between the tank and the pump?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Best advice is to not place and balance your lit cigarette on the pump while you insert the nozzle into the tank. A gust of wind could blow it off and, if you have a spill, kaboom! Better yet, don't smoke at all when you are filling up with gasoline.