Ticking/sewing machine noise

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

After returning home from work I've noticed a strange sound, I'm not sure if it was there before but I certainly didn't pay attention to it if it was. It's sort of a sewing machine sound.

I've checked my valve clearances 200 miles ago and didn't notice anything wrong with the cam chain, I've made a short video of it...

FZ6 engine noise - YouTube

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the bike? Could be the cam chain tensioner. You may need a new one. There are also cam chain guides. I believe they are made from Delrin. When worn they can also add to cam chain tension noise because the cam chain tensioner may be at the end of it's travel and no longer provide proper tension. Also the cam chain length increases as it wears. These are all factors with regard to a healthy valve train drive.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
29k miles, fresh Motul 7100 20w50 oil. When I did my valves I really didn't notice anything wrong with the chain tension, I couldn't really move it one bit, it was really tense.

If I remove my cam chain tensioner, it's only undoing that one bolt and I'll be able to see it's state?

Chain guides looked like new as well, they seemed to be made from plastic, but I figured simple plastic wouldn't stay long inside of an engine..

Maybe I'm being too paranoid? Don't want any major repairs right now, the season here is short as it is!

How many miles on the bike? Could be the cam chain tensioner. You may need a new one. There are also cam chain guides. I believe they are made from Delrin. When worn they can also add to cam chain tension noise because the cam chain tensioner may be at the end of it's travel and no longer provide proper tension. Also the cam chain length increases as it wears. These are all factors with regard to a healthy valve train drive.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
29k miles, fresh Motul 7100 20w50 oil. When I did my valves I really didn't notice anything wrong with the chain tension, I couldn't really move it one bit, it was really tense.

If I remove my cam chain tensioner, it's only undoing that one bolt and I'll be able to see it's state?

Chain guides looked like new as well, they seemed to be made from plastic, but I figured simple plastic wouldn't stay long inside of an engine..

Maybe I'm being too paranoid? Don't want any major repairs right now, the season here is short as it is!

Maybe pull the cam chain tensioner. and make sure it's got full travel with no binding?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Two schools of thought:
Cam chain tensioner & injector noise.
I am going with injector noise as I have swapped my cam chain tensioner and the noise is still there.

Neil:thumbup: