Throttle surge

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I have an 09 FZ6 that I just got. I have 850 miles on it, changed the oil, punched 1/2 inch holes in the baffles and am keeping the revs below 8400. I am having trouble with throttle slap. It can unload the suspension
hard when opening the throttle. I searched the forum and found some fixes. I checked throttle free play. Lubed the chain and checked for stiff links and checked the tension. Raised the idle to 1300. It is better but still not right. I read about the addition of a PC III as a possile fix or a fuel cut off eliminator.
I owned a tricked out XS750 triple with a shaft for a while and it also had the tendency to unload the bike so I can deal with it but want some of your thoughts as what to try. I am working on being smooth but I am riding a perfect set of unknown corkscrews here in the Sonoma valley and am getting thrown around some. Had the back end wash out but saved it with a blast of gas and a shot of adrenalin:spank:. I like the bike but stock sucks right now.Any ideas or direction I should take?

I have come up with a name for my bike. Dulcinea. She is Don Quixotes ficticious princess. He admits he doesn't know her and has only caught fleeting glimpses of her.The FZ has started out as a bit of a mystery. But man is she good lookin.

Don Quixote describes her appearance in the following terms: "… her name is Dulcinea, her country El Toboso, a village of La Mancha, her rank must be at least that of a princess, since she is my queen and lady, and her beauty
superhuman, since all the impossible and fanciful attributes of beauty which the poets apply to their ladies are verified in her; for her hairs are gold, her forehead Elysian fields, her eyebrows rainbows, her eyes suns, her cheeks roses, her lips coral, her teeth pearls, her neck alabaster, her bosom marble, her hands ivory, her fairness snow, and what modesty conceals from sight such, I think and imagine, as rational reflection can only extol, not compare

Except her hair is Raven black. Fairness of snow??? Yeah right. Carbon Black all the way baby.

Sorry, I digress. Any ideas for a fix?
Thanks, Rob

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I have an 09 FZ6 that I just got. I have 850 miles on it, changed the oil, punched 1/2 inch holes in the baffles and am keeping the revs below 8400. I am having trouble with throttle slap. It can unload the suspension
hard when opening the throttle. I searched the forum and found some fixes. I checked throttle free play. Lubed the chain and checked for stiff links and checked the tension. Raised the idle to 1300. It is better but still not right. I read about the addition of a PC III as a possile fix or a fuel cut off eliminator.
I owned a tricked out XS750 triple with a shaft for a while and it also had the tendency to unload the bike so I can deal with it but want some of your thoughts as what to try. I am working on being smooth but I am riding a perfect set of unknown corkscrews here in the Sonoma valley and am getting thrown around some. Had the back end wash out but saved it with a blast of gas and a shot of adrenalin:spank:. I like the bike but stock sucks right now.Any ideas or direction I should take?

I have come up with a name for my bike. Dulcinea. She is Don Quixotes ficticious princess. He admits he doesn't know her and has only caught fleeting glimpses of her.The FZ has started out as a bit of a mystery. But man is she good lookin.

Don Quixote describes her appearance in the following terms: "… her name is Dulcinea, her country El Toboso, a village of La Mancha, her rank must be at least that of a princess, since she is my queen and lady, and her beauty
superhuman, since all the impossible and fanciful attributes of beauty which the poets apply to their ladies are verified in her; for her hairs are gold, her forehead Elysian fields, her eyebrows rainbows, her eyes suns, her cheeks roses, her lips coral, her teeth pearls, her neck alabaster, her bosom marble, her hands ivory, her fairness snow, and what modesty conceals from sight such, I think and imagine, as rational reflection can only extol, not compare

Except her hair is Raven black. Fairness of snow??? Yeah right. Carbon Black all the way baby.

Sorry, I digress. Any ideas for a fix?
Thanks, Rob

Whats throttle slap? Slop/looseness in the cable?

Also, when accelerating, how exactly is the suspension "un-loading"? Front wheel coming up/?

The bikes FI has a built in map that when decelerating the FI shuts down (no fuel) for economy, thus some complaints of on/off throttle...

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
thats the fz6 my friend, had the same problem with 2006. on/off throttle! it goes like 0 -> 10, 11, 12 etc (suppose 100 is full open)
same backwards when closing throttle
i hated it on this bike
i'd call it "crappy mapping for lowend rpm range" rather than "fuel economy policy" since its almost unfixable.
if only i could take the mech that figured out this mapping for a ride as a passenger and do all day open/close throttles with him on the bike untill his brains turns to cream!!

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
thats the fz6 my friend, had the same problem with 2006. on/off throttle! it goes like 0 -> 10, 11, 12 etc (suppose 100 is full open)
same backwards when closing throttle
i hated it on this bike
i'd call it "crappy mapping for lowend rpm range" rather than "fuel economy policy" since its almost unfixable.
if only i could take the mech that figured out this mapping for a ride as a passenger and do all day open/close throttles with him on the bike untill his brains turns to cream!!

Its hardly unfixable.....
Its called an aftermarket exhaust, the stock exhaust is too constrictive which only makes the on/off throttle even more of a nightmare than otherwise.
The stock is also so crappy that I can't really see a few holes in the baffle helping. (and honestly I never understood this, you just ruin your stock exhaust which is good when your selling the bike, and means you can't remove whatever aftermarket you buy and sell it seperately)
An aftermarket exhaust makes a HUGE difference even without a PCIII, the minute I put my M4's on it was a totally different bike. If you do go with an aftermarket exhaust get one which has a silencer(s), you'll definately regret it otherwise as the straight through exhausts are a 'bit' loud.

A PCIII on its own with some fiddling would probably help (I did that for a while because I found my exhaust a bit loud) but the bike was just a much nicer ride with the M4's.

The bike also runs alot smoother when run in (like over 10k kms).

In the meantime the easiest fix is to adjust your riding a bit, switch into second earlier.