Thoughts on moving to a Liter bike

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
So, my bike is most likely going to be totaled. Well, based on past experience anyway.

I was talking to one of my coworkers and he mentioned that he's selling his '08 GSXR-1000. He had a minor low-side not too long ago and it scared him. Classic case of a liter bike for your first bike... Anyway, the bike is in decent shape. I was there when he went down; it was at 20-30mph and the frame sliders took the hit. There's some road rash, but that's about it. It was a group ride that day and we all checked his bike out and it was fine. Just cosmetic. (He chopped throttle on a tight left and nailed the back brake because he felt he was coming in too fast. I was going faster than he was when he went down tho.)

Anyway, he said he'd sell to me for $5k (Book here is $8400). I'm just wondering what the difference is between the two. I don't want to jump up too fast, but I've been riding for about 2 years now as a daily rider. I normally try to practice at least once a week as well.

I normally wouldn't even consider a liter bike, I think they're too much for the street, but his bike has less than 3000 on the odo, and he's letting it go for under book value. I think because he feels I'm responsible enough to sell it to. And, well, honestly it'd just be easier to not have to look around for a bike, or try and come up with $7500 for the Ninja 650 or $8700 for the FZ8.

So, what's you guys take on it? I know the bike is a deal, and I'm not buying anything without checking it out first. That's not the question. I'm just wondering if I'm jumping the gun on the liter, or if my healthy fear of them is a bit more than is healthy.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Having some reservations about making the jump to an uber powerful liter bike is normal, but I think you can handle it. It is all in the hands of the rider if you ask me.

If I was you, I would be more concerned about making the jump from a sport touring bike to a super sport. Have you ever ridden one? If so, were you on it for an extended period of time? You mentioned in your post that you used your FZ as a daily driver, I assume for commutting. You need to take into consideration the comfort level (or lack there of) that is associate with a super sport.

When I upgraded from my old 650R I was dead set on getting a 600cc sport bike, but after riding my friends ZX6-R for even a short period of time I was quickly able to tell that it was not a good fit for me. I also commute daily to work on my bike and that thing is super umvomfortable. With that hunched over, weight upfront seating position you feel a lot of pressure on your lower back and wrists and it was too much for me to consider as a daily.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider and only you know you so I can't comment on if you're ready.

But... you say you're a daily rider. Commuting, I suppose. Is this something you would be comfortable on every day?

If you want it and *you* feel you're ready, get it. However, don't feel like you gotta buy it because of the deal. There will be more.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see any problems moving up to a liter bike from the fz6, I think the real question would be do you think a ss bike would suit your needs commuting? It is one hell of a deal but if I were in your shoes I think I might be looking for a fz1. Or maybe buy the gsxr and sell it for more then get a fz1. For that price you could easily make a quick grand but seeing how he is a co-worker and maybe even a friend that might be a tough call vs buying off someone random to flip it.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point. I hadn't even thought about the comfort part. I've sat on the bike and moved it before, but that's not really riding. I do know that if I had to use a SS for commuting then the GSXR is supposedly the most comfortable.

One more thing to think about. I'm fairly sure I'll be fine with the power, just a little timid of it and wanting to make sure it wasn't male bravado. I know my wrist has been tamed. lol. And having ridden a Katana 600 and now my buddies GS500F, I know the suzuki gear box is heaven compared to the FZ6, and they tend to be fairly comfortable.

I've got time to think about it. And he'll probably let me ride it first. Any other thoughts?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Good point. I hadn't even thought about the comfort part. I've sat on the bike and moved it before, but that's not really riding. I do know that if I had to use a SS for commuting then the GSXR is supposedly the most comfortable.

One more thing to think about. I'm fairly sure I'll be fine with the power, just a little timid of it and wanting to make sure it wasn't male bravado. I know my wrist has been tamed. lol. And having ridden a Katana 600 and now my buddies GS500F, I know the suzuki gear box is heaven compared to the FZ6, and they tend to be fairly comfortable.

I've got time to think about it. And he'll probably let me ride it first. Any other thoughts?

Like I said above, just spend some time on the bike before you make a decision man. I was enamored with the power, sound, and handling of my buddies ZX6-R but was horrified by the lack of comfort and riding position. It was uncomfortable and very awkward for me which made me feel overly timid and not confident. Knew right away it wasnt for me..

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and I wouldn't call him a friend because he's a chief at my command. But I do have a lot of respect for him, and he's gone out of his way to help me out in the past.

So, it'd still feel wrong taking advantage of his kindness like that. I'll see if he'll let me ride it to/from work a day or two once I have cash in hand.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Looking at your avatar picture I'd say stay with a sport touring / standard bike. Liter racers are for racers, single young guys and people with something to prove. Doesn't seem like you need to prove yourself. FZ1 wouldn't be a bad choice.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
PM Corsara - he just traded his FZ6 for 2003 Gixxer 1000.
I think he also posted thread about his impressions.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at your avatar picture I'd say stay with a sport touring / standard bike. Liter racers are for racers, single young guys and people with something to prove. Doesn't seem like you need to prove yourself. FZ1 wouldn't be a bad choice.

I disagree - gixxer 1000 is a great bike with superb handling. And it is all about the rider and not the bike. I see more dumb behaviour from people riding 49cc scooters then from people riding supersports.

To OP - if your heart likes it go get it.

AlexL

Shiny Side Up
Reaction score
Visit site
Does mpg matter to you?
Does riding for more than an hour matter?

It's not just the upgrade to a liter bike, you're upgrading to a supersport liter bike. Comfort and daily drivability take a backseat to pure performance in handling and speed. Sure would be fun for those short bursts of time that you're on it though.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were in your position I'd buy it, ride it for a year and if I didn't end up liking it I would sell it the beginning of next summer for at least what I paid and buy something more comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
i know i mentioned comfort as well but in reality unless someone has a bad back ss bikes really are not that uncomfortable. yes its no fz6, but ive rode a couple of 600cc ss bikes and they really are not as bad as people are saying, like the you can only ride it for a hour comments. i know quite a few people who ride ss bikes everyday and have went on a all day ride with a few of them as well. they never asked to stop, take a break, or complained one time. now if you have back issues, especially if you have lower back problems it might be a little too much to handle, but i have some issues with my lower back and the ss bikes that ive rode didnt bother it one bit. plus even though ive never rode one, the ss Lt. bikes that i have sat on felt much more comfortable then the 600 ss bikes. so that might be a real good idea if he would let you ride it for a couple days to and form work to actually get a feel for the bike before you make a decision. or just go for it as stated above and if it turns out that it is too much hang on to it for a bit and suffer through it and sell it next season. as long as you dont damage the bike you should still be able to very easily make a profit next year on selling the bike with the price that he is asking for it.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
i know i mentioned comfort as well but in reality unless someone has a bad back ss bikes really are not that uncomfortable. yes its no fz6, but ive rode a couple of 600cc ss bikes and they really are not as bad as people are saying, like the you can only ride it for a hour comments. i know quite a few people who ride ss bikes everyday and have went on a all day ride with a few of them as well. they never asked to stop, take a break, or complained one time. now if you have back issues, especially if you have lower back problems it might be a little too much to handle, but i have some issues with my lower back and the ss bikes that ive rode didnt bother it one bit. plus even though ive never rode one, the ss Lt. bikes that i have sat on felt much more comfortable then the 600 ss bikes. so that might be a real good idea if he would let you ride it for a couple days to and form work to actually get a feel for the bike before you make a decision. or just go for it as stated above and if it turns out that it is too much hang on to it for a bit and suffer through it and sell it next season. as long as you dont damage the bike you should still be able to very easily make a profit next year on selling the bike with the price that he is asking for it.

I have never sat on a SS liter bike, but as stated above, I have ridden my buddies ZX6 and hated it. Maybe it has something to do with my shorter stature (I am only 5'8") but it felt awful on my wrists and overall just very uncomfortable. I cant imaging doing my usual 70 mile round trip commute to work on something like that.

But hey, we are all built differently and to each his own I guess..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Throttle control is the main thing beside experience. Your commute time is a factor as is your own personal physiology to comfort.
I had an 09 R1 and was perfectly comfortable on it. Not as comfortable as the FZ6. I rode other SS bikes and wasn't nearly as comfortable.

Your insurance will be more costly. Once you climb on a big SS the insurance will surprise you. Generally any SS will cost more as far as insurance. I was lucky that they included my SV1000 in the sport touring class.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Being uncomfortable is mostly because its a new bike to you and your tensing on it thinking its going to slip away from you from soo much POWA. After riding it for awhile it gets more comfortable :).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I normally wouldn't even consider a liter bike, I think they're too much for the street

Just the opposite, in my opinion. Liter bikes are so much more *relaxing* for street use. There's no need to rev the motor.. plenty of low end torque to get you going from 3k rpm (feels about the same as FZ6 from 5.5k). No need to shift as often due to much higher gearing too :thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I had already considered the insurance thing. Being 29 and married helps a lot on that too.

I'm gonna track down that post someone mentioned and read it. I recall meeting lots of guys that ride SS as their daily rider.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd chime in!

I think it's a very personal choice, and everyone will tell you what their own opinion is. I think the only way for you to make the decision is to try before you buy!

I'd love a litre bike, but I need something super comfy as I commute every day and do a lot of kms a week. But I want the grin factor too! So if it was ME, I'd probably not consider it. But only YOU know what you want!

Try it, if you like it - buy it (it's a great price). If after 6 months you change your mind, you can always sell it and get something else.