This could be a useful phone app if you wreck

ph0xx

Reaction score
Visit site
CRADAR

This is a free app for Android phones which will send out an alert to one of your contacts if it senses that you wrecked.

It says "Once a fall has been detected, your phone will start ringing and vibrating, and the counter will start.

If you move more than 8 feet, or tap the "I'm OK" button before the timer runs out, the alert will be cancelled and CRADAR will continue monitoring.

If you do not move at least 8 feet or tap the "I'm OK" button, CRADAR will send a text message to your emergency contact..."

I guess it uses the accelerometer and GPS to detect the fall and the distance you have moved since.

This might be nice to have. I actually could have used it myself a few weeks ago. Obviously, your phone would have to survive the crash and stay with you. Also, you would want the sensitivity to be adjusted correctly so that you're not freaking out your buddies and making them think you are laying down in a ravine when all you did was hit a bump in the road or something. But it definitely has potential.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are going to be a lot of false emergency responses to cats dog and kids knocking phones down and those apps will no doubt become, "The boy who cried wolf".

Get a Spot Satellite Locator. It works when you don't have a phone signal which is where you'll need emergency services when no one knows what happened to you. At least if your unconscious, can't push a button and have no cell service your friends and family can see where you're at on the Spot web site. :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the spot a very cool and helpful device. I bought my dad one before his dual spot trip up the TAT trail, I was cool to watch their progress as well as knowing a helicopter is only a button push away

ph0xx

Reaction score
Visit site
There are going to be a lot of false emergency responses to cats dog and kids knocking phones down and those apps will no doubt become, "The boy who cried wolf".

Get a Spot Satellite Locator. It works when you don't have a phone signal which is where you'll need emergency services when no one knows what happened to you. At least if your unconscious, can't push a button and have no cell service your friends and family can see where you're at on the Spot web site. :thumbup:

Ideally, you turn off the program so that it's not running when you're not riding. But I could see lots of people forgetting to turn it off, so you're probably right about it crying wolf.

That Spot device looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I take the Spot with us when my wife and I hike. I tag friends, neighbors and family so they'll track us. At least they'll be suspicious if the tracks sit in one place for hours and still makes tracks. The last time we used it hiking was in Joshua Tree Monument Nat'l Park. When you find a cool location you can send a pre-canned message to mark the location and remember the time. Then when your back on the Spot sight you can look it up and see satellite image of where you were as well as return to the same location using coords. Where we hiked there was no telly service so that's another plus.

Relatively cheap for the unit and service. I also use it on our organized FZ6 forum rides as well as local rides when we go out in the mountains and desert.
Our terrain really warrants being found quickly because of desert temps during summer. You can throw it in the car and log your trip on maps. A couple of years ago we lost at least 2 California riders who may have been saved if they had Sat. tracking.

There is one downfall and I don't know if it effects emergency services if you need them. The Spot server will not show tracks in specific areas. This may be do to blacked out areas because of Nat'l security. Don't know but these issues are repeatable and the unit has total clearance to the sky. The next time I'm in these areas I will try a canned message to see if it talks to the sat. in the black out area.