Thinking of moving into an 8

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was thinking about switching up to an FZ8. Sort of a hassle to sell your bike, even if you own it and are current on inspection. Maybe it is just past experiences talking, though. Any forum members here move to the 8? Any input would be appreciated.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you considered the FZ1? To me the big difference would be gas mileage and if they are not that far apart in MPG I would consider the FZ1. Probably not much different with insurance either.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you considered the FZ1? To me the big difference would be gas mileage and if they are not that far apart in MPG I would consider the FZ1. Probably not much different with insurance either.

I have and really like them both. Like the looks of the 8 more and a little better mileage is better than nothing I suppose. I don't know about the insurance. It is so cheap now, can't imagine it would be catastrophically different adding just under two hundred cc's more (to add to your point).

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I rode an FZ8 about 3 weeks ago at a Yamaha demo days event. I really liked the bike, it rode smooth, the wind was a little smoother at speed, and it looks great. But, I really didn't see enough difference between the FZ8 and FZ6 to make me trade. If I got a REALLY good deal, maybe. Or if it was just time for a new bike, I'd definitely consider it as one of a few bikes I'd have on my short list (the FZ1 being nearer the top).

If you're in the market for a new bike, I'd definitely give it a ride. The FZ1 is more bike, but it's also $1700 more then the FZ8.

BTW, I saw a FZ1 on Craigs list the other day for a really good price (may be too far for you to drive)...

2800 miles, $7299.00 Yamaha FZ1 2009, 2800 miles!

Also found this...

2004 FZ6 bought new in 2007 (still in crate), only has 250 miles on the ODO, asking $5900...
2004 Yamaha FZ1 BASICALLY NEW 254 miles

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, the FZ8 is an FZ1 with a smaller motor. From what I have seen you are getting a liter size bike without the ass to back it up. Its kind of a cop out since its not really a replacement for the FZ6, I think Yamaha just ended up with a watered down FZ1. I would personally just go for the 1. I should mention that I have ridden neither.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, the FZ8 is an FZ1 with a smaller motor. From what I have seen you are getting a liter size bike without the ass to back it up. Its kind of a cop out since its not really a replacement for the FZ6, I think Yamaha just ended up with a watered down FZ1. I would personally just go for the 1. I should mention that I have ridden neither.

The FZ1 has a tunable suspension which to me is worth the price difference all by itself.

Also the I believe the FZ8 US model is a naked.

I agree the FZ6 should be continued. I don't get the FZ8. :confused:

D

Dave.TX

Those are the same reasons I'd go for the 1 over the 8. They have faired 8's in Europe, why can't they have it here in the States? They wanted to go with the streetfighter look. It was a gamble and they paid dearly for it. Brand new 8's sitting on the showroom floor with most people not even looking at them. Kind of a 6 with a 1 price tag.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the fz8's riding position is like the fz6. the fz1 has a more sporty position, which kinda forced me to buy something different.
The FZ8 is best of both worlds, great smooth engine, with a little more torque where the fz6 sometimes lacked, in the lower rpm regions. Nice comfortable riding position, and the bike looks great. I owned a fz6 and fz1, chose the fz1 over the fz8 because of the power, which was a very bad decission on my part.

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
the fz8's riding position is like the fz6. the fz1 has a more sporty position, which kinda forced me to buy something different.
The FZ8 is best of both worlds, great smooth engine, with a little more torque where the fz6 sometimes lacked, in the lower rpm regions. Nice comfortable riding position, and the bike looks great. I owned a fz6 and fz1, chose the fz1 over the fz8 because of the power, which was a very bad decission on my part.

I installed handlebars from the FZ6 on my FZ1. IMHO, they have have the same riding position now.

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Different people are gonna have different reasons for getting a new bike. Pure performane isn't always a criterion and sometimes it IS an upgrade, sometimes not. I have not ridden the FZ8 but just looking at the performance data, the FZ8 and FZ6 are too similar for me to consider the FZ8 an upgrade, and the genI Fz6 is even faster then the FZ8 in the 1/4 mile. Maybe you would like it because of it's style (being a naked) but from a purely performance point of view, it would not be enough for me to consider spending the $$ over a good reliable FZ6 that I own and have the title in hand.

FZ8 dyno (Rear wheel HP) 89hp, 1/4 mile time 11.55 sec.
FZ6 dyno (Rear wheel HP) 86hp, 1/4 mile time 11.7 sec.
FZ1 dyno (Rear wheel HP) 128hp, 1/4 mile time 10.5 sec.

BTW: The best MPG I have gotten from my 09 FZ1 is around 39mpg, so that may effect your decision too.

More performance data here in this PDF (CLICK) from MCN MotorCycle News

Last edited:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow....thanks for all the feedback. A few thoughts....i do like the naked look of the 8. it appeared to me that the 8 would be easier to lower than the 6, but so would the 1. Looks like not a whole lot of difference in the quarter mile which is really where the useful power range would be unless you like tickets or track days. Am leaning towards keeping my ride now.:D

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the FZ8 has the Upside Down forks like the FZ1, but don't look to be adjustable. Anybody know about a FZ1 to FZ8 fork swap? :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One more reason to get 1 instead of 8.. this is only applicable if you don't mind a used bike: it's WAY cheaper! 8s have not been out long enough to get a really good deal on just yet. I picked up my 07 FZ1 in mint condition with 8k miles on it for $5k .. my insurance cost is the same as it was on FZ6 :D

And if you liked naked look, you can always do that with FZ1 :D

img3382mt.jpg

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One more reason to get 1 instead of 8.. this is only applicable if you don't mind a used bike: it's WAY cheaper! 8s have not been out long enough to get a really good deal on just yet. I picked up my 07 FZ1 in mint condition with 8k miles on it for $5k .. my insurance cost is the same as it was on FZ6 :D

img3382mt.jpg

My wife is jealous, that just got me hot and bothered.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site

img3382mt.jpg

Holy crap that look great!

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I love the look of the FZ8. But they dropped the centerstand, which makes it not an option for me. Might seem like a small deal, but the centerstand is the only reason I can fit my bike and my car in my one car garage right now...