Things I learned on my last ride....

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got back from a 3000 mile trip to James Bay, Canada (a ride report will follow at some point), but I wanted to get this message out there NOW.

Check your radiator fan REGULARLY! Several folks have reported having rocks jam the fan, which results in burning out the fan and eventual overheating. I had the fan jam up TWICE on me during my latest trip. Both times I was riding on sand/gravel roads in wet conditions (yes...not the natural environment for an FZ6, but still......). Each time, the space between the fan and got clogged enough that I couldn't spin it free-hand. Thankfully, I cleared it out before the fan motor tried to kick on and burned out.

We need a simple, step-by-step mod to fix this issue (a spacer might do the trick perhaps). I will try to look at some other bikes and post a solution. I guess the front tire kicks up stuff that's just the right size to jam in there. Maybe a fender extender would help?

On a more positive note, my Fizzer was otherwise FLAWLESS on this trip and on three other 1500+ mile trips I've done this year. It even survived a highside into a bog :eek: (the guys I was riding with have pics of the actual fall and the aftermath, which I will post once I get them - absolutely no damage to the bike).

I love this bike!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 fuel economy!

Another thing I learned on my trip....

The FZ6 is capable of AMAZING fuel economy!

On the James Bay road, you have to ride a bit more than 385km (240 miles) between gas stations! Since no one lives on the road, there's no traffic and only one place to gas up (near the middle of the route). Most bikes can't make it without auxillary fuel. Thinking I didn't have the range, I brought a couple of gas cans with me (everyone did). The other guys were riding a new BMW R1200GS, an '08 Triumph Street Triple, and a 2000 KLR 650 (modded with 685cc kit). Only the KLR rider was comfortable about making it on one tank and the other bikes have nearly the same range as the FZ6.

On the way up the road, we rode normally (perhaps a bit aggressively). I stopped about 50km from the gas station and added 2 gallons. I didn't quite think I had the range, so I didn't even try to go for it.

On the way back down the road, we had a little competition.....to see who could go without using the gas cans we'd brought. We topped off the tanks and rode about 90km/hr (10 km/hr UNDER the speed limit) to see who would make it.

I did it! Riding more than 240 miles is not an easy feat on our bikes, but it's possible. I was prepared to cut the engine at the first sign of power loss/sputtering (otherwise the fuel pump can burn itself out - as a general rule, you should NOT run your tank dry). I kept a low tuck the ENTIRE time, las VERY gentle on throttle rolls (the best strategy is to avoid sudden on/off rolls as the injectors will start squirting more fuel at those times).

What's most amazing about this trip was that I was FULLY loaded down at the time (topcase, side cases, dry bags, gas cans were all full) AND we were riding slightly uphill and in a STRONG headwind (between 20 and 50 mph!) I also have a tall windshield, which normally hurts my fuel economy. On the plus side, I did go +1 on the front sprocket so I could cruise at 4500 rpm at about 93 km/hr.

The KLR made it (with a splash of fuel to spare). The BMW just made it (no observable gas in the tank and the fuel computer said it was impossible). The Triumph ran out of gas 30km from the end.

The FZ6 rocks!:rockon:

pauloissler

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All.
I am new in the forum. I live in the SF Bay Area, have a 2008 FZ6. Bought it new.

I just came back from a trip to Santa Cruz - nice ride through Highway 1. No problems while in the highway - temp meter solid at 160-170 F all the way. However, after getting there (during the stops and goes in town) I noticed the temp meter reached a bit more than 243 F. The red temp light went on. I checked the radiator fan and it was jammed up. I would thing the fuse is gone at this stage.

Form DC-Mac's description, it sounds like something that happens frequently. I have some questions that maybe you guys can help me out.

1) How easy is to replace the fan by myself?
2) Do I need to drain the coolant to replace the part?

Thanks in advance.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
dean, cant wait to see the pics and here the story of this trip.. as i just reread the writeup on our last ride and have been thinking about the next one almost always. being it is sat. i will try giving you a call about 1-2pm today also.