The Yamaha FJR1300

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've got this damn itch! I spent the weekend touring the mountains with the wife on the back of the FZ6...The bike felt underpowered 2-up with gear and cramped, she complained of knee pain after a couple hours and my butt was numb from not being able to move around on the seat as much as I can solo....we stopped at a Pork BBQ place for lunch and I saw nothing but cruisers and sport touring bikes going by, 2-up...and I was jealous of their comfort! :BLAA:

The FJR1300 is the only bike that I've seriously considered as a future upgrade from the FZ6....I started doing some research on them and looking at some local classifieds for them and was amazed to see that even now in the summer you can get a 2006 with 15,000 miles on it for around $7,500! :eek: That's sweet for a bike that was around $15,000 new with all the options.

145 hp/99ft lbs, 615 lbs, adjustable windscreen, ABS, standard hard bags, optional top case with brake light is sweet, looks like they even have a backrest top case available for it...:drool:

Has anyone ever owned/ridden one? How is the seat height in comparison to the FZ6. Honestly I can barely flat foot on the FZ6 solo and if the FJR sits higher I'd have a hard time controlling 620 lbs with a passenger on back. How is the fuel economy touring? If it's 40 mpg it's a non issue...if it's only 30, that's an issue. Are the tires the same size as our FZ6's?

Discuss!

2007-Yamaha-FJR1300AS-wallpaper-02_pr_tcm26-190814.jpg

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
serisouly, have you not seem one in person??? this is a big bike.. i havent even sat on one knowing how much more the thing is going to weigh.. it is definitly one to drool over, but are you thinking of upgrading or just getting another... why not let her get a license and she can have her own?? just think of the 2x the amount of gear that can be hauled..

you could always rent "the long way around" or "the long way down", watch it with her, and totaly play it off that you really want her to get a bike for those reasons instead of the real reason (which would be get off my bike and get your own).. :thumbup:

but all joking aside, it is a bigger bike, is higher on the "bad-ass'ness" scale, and thats not a bad price for an 06.. :thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another thing to think about if you're thinking about going with a FJR...

Yamaha is about 3 years past when most FJR owners thought they'd do a "refresh" on the bike. I know this because I have a friend that had one (that he absolutely adored) and sold it 2 or 3 years ago because most FJR owners were under the impression Yamaha was going to update the bike for the '09 model year. They didn't and he's been on his other bike ever since.

We discussed this not long ago and my point is this...if you're REALLY interested in an older-model FJR, wait until later this year and see if Yamaha decides to bring out the next generation. If they do, there will be a BOATLOAD of late-model ones out there on the market (current owners wanting to update). In theory, this will drive the price of a nice used one down and you could get a VERY smoking deal.

I say this because I'm doing just that...keeping my eyes open for a refresh. I'd like to have a 2nd bike (I'm riding my FZ6 until the wheels fall off) and the FJR is right at the top of the list. If Yamaha decides to update it for next year, I should be able to find a great used one for an unbelievable price. :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another thing to think about if you're thinking about going with a FJR...

Yamaha is about 3 years past when most FJR owners thought they'd do a "refresh" on the bike. I know this because I have a friend that had one (that he absolutely adored) and sold it 2 or 3 years ago because most FJR owners were under the impression Yamaha was going to update the bike for the '09 model year. They didn't and he's been on his other bike ever since.

We discussed this not long ago and my point is this...if you're REALLY interested in an older-model FJR, wait until later this year and see if Yamaha decides to bring out the next generation. If they do, there will be a BOATLOAD of late-model ones out there on the market (current owners wanting to update). In theory, this will drive the price of a nice used one down and you could get a VERY smoking deal.

I say this because I'm doing just that...keeping my eyes open for a refresh. I'd like to have a 2nd bike (I'm riding my FZ6 until the wheels fall off) and the FJR is right at the top of the list. If Yamaha decides to update it for next year, I should be able to find a great used one for an unbelievable price. :thumbup:

Thanks for that. I would not be looking at one until this coming winter when prices go down on bikes anyway. Unfortunately with my new mortgage and the house needing a lot of work I don't have funds to buy, upkeep and insure a second bike. The FZ6 would have to go as would one of my project cars which I could get about $3,000 for the car and if I'm lucky, $4,000 for my FZ6 ($3,200 for the bike, $800 for the aftermarket parts I have on it parted out separately and convert back to stock). $7,000 cash in my pocket would be awfully tempting to some of the 2006/2007 owners come December...

I hope they do revamp the FJR for the reasons you mentioned...great deals for those looking for late models! :thumbup:

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It would be nice if they had a few color options! The FJR is on my wish list. I will also ride my FZ6 until the wheel fall off. I love it. Can you say win the lottery. :thumbup: Yah like that will happen. :D

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the first year FJR when they first came out. It is a big bike but once you get rolling the weight melts away. To me it always needed another gear (5 speed tranny) and it tended to eat tires which is a downer for a touring type machine. But you never wanted for power, it was always there at the turn of the grip. I sold it because I just didn't use the hard luggage and it was a bit too big for a Saturday ride. Got an FJ6 but traded that in on an FZ1. Ever thought about an FZ1....the pillion position is not as cramped as the FZ6 and you have loads more power than the FZ6.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
From the FJR forums...most owners are getting 40 - 55mpg fuel economy! That is identical to the range that most FZ6 owners report! :eek:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the first year FJR when they first came out. It is a big bike but once you get rolling the weight melts away. To me it always needed another gear (5 speed tranny) and it tended to eat tires which is a downer for a touring type machine. But you never wanted for power, it was always there at the turn of the grip. I sold it because I just didn't use the hard luggage and it was a bit too big for a Saturday ride. Got an FJ6 but traded that in on an FZ1. Ever thought about an FZ1....the pillion position is not as cramped as the FZ6 and you have loads more power than the FZ6.

I love the FZ1...it's simply not an improvement for 2-up riding, at least not if you want to actually take luggage as well. Now that I'm married I foresee a LOT more 2-up in my future...:BLAA:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I want one badly as well. Epic tourer that eats sweepers alive.

And in the tight technical stuff it's still exceptionally fun and sporty, though is not a 350lb sportbike.

But since you're just going to be out having a bit of fun on the highways, the extra weight isn't going to hinder your fun. You're not running against the clock trying to set best lap times.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Big bike and most of these kind of bikes are top heavy and almost everyone drops them once in the driveway. If you are a short guy, I will say think about it a good amount of time.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll add a few thoughts... I rode my brothers 05 for the better part of a day and yet, it was not as intimidating as I had feared, BUT it is a big bike!! if it's starts to tip over, your not stopping it! His did chew up tires sooner than normal though. Seat height for me was no different than the FZ6 except a slightly wider saddle.
My biggest complaint... it will cook you alive on a hot day! I think the 07 and up have better air flow management to alleviate that. If I could pick one up for reasonable price(and had the funds) I would do it in a heart beat...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FJR is a stunning ride & you will fall in love with it if you ride one , power to burn , suprisingly nimble & pleasant on the eye :thumbup: It would have been parked in my garage except that for me it was a little wide in the tank where it meets the seat :( & made it very uncomfortable , but other than that it was perfect :rockon:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Big bike and most of these kind of bikes are top heavy and almost everyone drops them once in the driveway. If you are a short guy, I will say think about it a good amount of time.

Yea I'm only 5'8". I would need to sit on one, preferably ride one before I start seriously shopping for one.

DaveS

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 03 FJR1300 new in 02 and loved it. It was able to do everything I asked of it without any problems at all. My wife and I spent many hours on it touring, pulling a single wheel trailer behind us as well. I added extra's such as a corbin seat, Givi 52 liter trunk, passenger peg extensions, StarCom rider/passenger communications, Power Commander III, and Heli Bar risers to improve our enjoyment on our rides. Yamaha has been slow with updates to keep up with other brand such as the Kawasaki Concours 14, but if you're looking for a great touring bike you can't go wrong with the FJR.

Sure it's a big bike, it's designed to be a touring motorcycle. But like others have mentioned, once your rolling you don't really notice the extra weight and the bike is more than capable of carving mountain roads. You might not be able to lead the pack, but you certainly wont be left behind.

DaveS

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I'm only 5'8". I would need to sit on one, preferably ride one before I start seriously shopping for one.

The buddy I mentioned in my previous post that sold his 3 years ago in anticipation of the refresh? He's 5'6". And one of the best riders I've ever ridden with.

Not that I'm trying to say that seat height and width don't matter...of course they do. I just wanted you to know that there are other riders that are shorter than you that have easily managed the FJR and, in fact, loved every second of riding it. While it should be your choice on whether it fits you properly and whether you can comfortably steady it, just know that it can be done. :thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 04 FJR with 76k on it. I'm 5'7" on a good day and it's no problem for me. You would love it for 2 up or solo riding. I get an average of 43 mpg at speeds well above the posted and get over 50 mpg when in the high country of Colorado.
The wet weight is close to 650 lbs but no big deal. She handles great and the power is awesome. 500 mile days are easy with this bike and with the wind protection you will enjoy it on windy or wet days. Get it and be happy!

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
[file under: "You can do it"]

I am 5'5" / 115 lb's and was able to take 3 good long rides on a Connie 1400 a few months back, over 3 hours total. I felt the weight, and I would NOT want that bike (or an FJR) for city duty in Boston compared to the fz6, but I was able to back it out of parking spaces, pull tight u-turns, navigate ocean-sized suburban Atlanta parking lots at 3 mph, etc. [/file]