The Vectrix SBK ...

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I support alternative fuels not really for the sake of the environment, but simply because I want to see the dependence on oil eliminated or at least reduced. Completely becoming independent on fossil fuel or eliminating greenhouse gases is a lofty ideal that I don't think will happen for a very long time.

Hydrogen comes from fossil fuels too. The majority of hydrogen produced for fuel cells comes from buring natural gas. "The Home Energy Station, which generates hydrogen from natural gas, is designed to provide heat and electricity for the home through fuel cell cogeneration and to supply fuel for a hydrogen-powered fuel cell vehicle."

Everyone knows hydrogen can be extracted from water, but the electricity required for the process takes a big chunk out of the total energy produced.

It's better than gasoline imo but not THE answer.

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
I support alternative fuels not really for the sake of the environment, but simply because I want to see the dependence on oil eliminated or at least reduced. Completely becoming independent on fossil fuel or eliminating greenhouse gases is a lofty ideal that I don't think will happen for a very long time.

Hydrogen comes from fossil fuels too. The majority of hydrogen produced for fuel cells comes from buring natural gas. "The Home Energy Station, which generates hydrogen from natural gas, is designed to provide heat and electricity for the home through fuel cell cogeneration and to supply fuel for a hydrogen-powered fuel cell vehicle."

Everyone knows hydrogen can be extracted from water, but the electricity required for the process takes a big chunk out of the total energy produced.

It's better than gasoline imo but not THE answer.

It can be extracted without electricity, but the process is much more difficult to control and inefficient. Magnesium fires burn hot enough to separate the molecules of H and O from water, but typically the oxygen fuels extra heat from the fire, and the hydrogen isn't harvestable. If someone could find a way to utilize this to find "free hydrogen" it'ld provide the necessary fueling for years without issue....until the water supply ran out...or the magnesium supply (and then what would we do for awesome forged wheels)