The ride home....

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
A thread to talk about your ride home. Good, Bad or Indifferent.

I'll start:

Today I was working at a customers data center doing a password recovery on their Cisco 6509 core switch. (thats some geek talk to keep the nerds on this site reading). Anyway it went better than expected and I was getting out of there early.

It was my last appointment of the day so I suited up and jumped on the the bike for the ride home. I was in a great mood and was feeling a bit more "spirited" than usual. You know that feeling when you finally "own" the bike and it does what you want...when you want. I was in that zone this afternoon and feeling frisky.

As I cleared the toll booth and approached the on ramp I dropped the hammer. Eyes looking through the turn I hung it all out there and dropped my knee as far as it would go. Twisting the throttle I felt the FZ slingshot engage as I returned upright to enter the highway. 10,000...., 11,000...., 12,000 rpm's through second gear goes by in a split second. I take a quick glance over my left shoulder to check for traffic and the lane is clear. Up to third and Mr Fizz is buzzing like chainsaw still in his powerband, pulling strong.

For some reason I also check right though not expecting to see anything other than my Givi Maxxia hard case hovering behind me like a mini spaceship. But I'll be dammned! There's a jet black Lotus Exige track edition right on my a$$. Where the hell did HE come from? He must have been tucked in behind me so close right from the toll booth that I couldn't see him past my luggage. Anyhow, I can tell he wants to go....so ok then...let's go.

I upshift to 4th, twist it as far as it will go and hurtle into triple digits. He stays with me to 125MPH and then starts to fall off. Now I dont know if he's running out of gear or simply concerned about criminal speeding but I am committed. Like the song says " some mistakes are too much fun" and this is a friggin blast. Traffic is light since it's well after the usual commute time and the three lane highway is practically wide open.

I back of slightly and settle into cruise at 85-90 for a bit and then I see him in my mirror again, coming up fast. He blurs by doing at least 130. I knew he was just oying with me and so it goes for the next 20 miles, trading the lead back and forth, slowing for the usual radar trap spots along the way. My commute is over in record time.

It's my exit coming up so I break off and give him a wave. Time to behave again, 35 mph zone ahead.

Oh, and for the record.... Givi hard cases DO stay attached at 128MPH.