The New Four Stroke Engine

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
This new concept eliminates the most complicated mechanism in the combustion engine: the head and valve train.
The idea is to replace the camshaft with a crankshaft and replace the valves with pistons. By doing this, the inventor, Andrew Feliks, created a new and very simple four stroke engine.

In this invention the piston with compressions rings slides in a cylinder which has a side port. A pair of these pistons and cylinders replaces the intake and exhaust valve. :thumbup:

New 4 Stroke Engine - StumbleUpon

joshfz6.2008

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the illustration, I'm wondering how there isn't detnation, or engine knock. With the look of the combustion chamber just looks like there would be hot spots.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder how high the engines will rev?
Would be great to see F1 take this technology on.

Nelly

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Don't see what makes it better. Seems like more problems with small pistons and rings that will wear and how does the oil get to and from the back of the pistons.

I've always been a rotary engine fan but other then mazda never went anywhere.

kidfazer56

Reaction score
Visit site
ducati has a version of this already.... it makes it so there is virtually no redline. only problem is the cams need to be adjusted every other oil change, so like 4-6k miles. not bad if you can do it yourself but youre lookin at about 1500 bucks in labor at the shop

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait a minute!?!?!:confused: What is driving and synchronizing the top and bottom cranks? What I mean is if you have to synch them with gears or a chain I'm not really seeing an advantage yet. Okay..maybe eliminate valve float.. With today's multi-valve technology lending much lower mass inertia interference we already have high revving engines.

Wouldn't there be less moving parts and of course more torque from a 2 stroke.
Read an article about some engineers that were working on a 2 stroke with what they called precision injection that cleaned up a lot of the pollution and and by product that actually met or surpassed today's emission requirements. :D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait a minute!?!?!:confused: What is driving and synchronizing the top and bottom cranks? What I mean is if you have to synch them with gears or a chain I'm not really seeing an advantage yet. Okay..maybe eliminate valve float.. With today's multi-valve technology lending much lower mass inertia interference we already have high revving engines.

Read an article about some engineers that were working on a 2 stroke with what they called precision injection that cleaned up a lot of the pollution and and by product that actually met or surpassed today's emission requirements. :D

Ive always thought it would be cool to build a rail buggy with at minimum a 200hp 2stroke v6 off a boat. I know it would be a rediculous amount of work to get it running right but ive always wanted to do it. :D

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is a cool idea in that you have a Cam that has become a power take off just like the main crank. It is taking a portion of the main engine assembly that is normally a power drain and turning it into a producer. I think this design is actually more efficient than a standard valve train.

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Engine geeks spend the last centuries to cut on friction and rotating mass... don't see any advantage in this mechanism. And you will be lucky to have more than 7:1 compression ratio according to the schematics. F1 has been running conventional engine with cams gears instead of belt or chain. Springs have been replace with air spring... no more valve floating anymore at high rev.

Anyway the way racing has been in the last few years (cost cutting) Engine need to last 5 time longer. So they're probably running them at 75% capacity. We won't see any race engine spinning 22000 rpm any time soon.

Rotary engine are probably the most powerful per C.C... but they weight twice as much!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site

I would love for one of the big bike companies to put a 2-stroke road bike into production! 2-stroke=crappy sound track, but unbeatable fun factor (IMHO)

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com

Rotary engine are probably the most powerful per C.C... but they weight twice as much!

Weigh twice as much as what. When I changed my RX 7 13b engine I could lift it myself I think it weighs less then my FZ6 engine and transmission. 1.3 liter 200hp stock.

elayout.jpg

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love for one of the big bike companies to put a 2-stroke road bike into production! 2-stroke=crappy sound track, but unbeatable fun factor (IMHO)

Most of them used to make them and you can still find decent used ones I cant remember the name or year but one of yamahas 2 strokes was a monster that thing would run like a raped ape

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Weigh twice as much as what. When I changed my RX 7 13b engine I could lift it myself I think it weighs less then my FZ6 engine and transmission. 1.3 liter 200hp stock.

elayout.jpg

Ya the old wankles are real light but the new ones are heavy

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The RX8 engine is basically the same as the old 7 just the ports are in different places. You really have to see how small these engines are. I got to talk to Jim Downing about 15 years ago when he was using a four roter engine. He said it weighed less then a four cylinder engine and could put out over 1000hp.

[youtubevid]JdbXZdLn-VQ[/youtubevid]

Last edited:

kdburtch

Reaction score
Visit site
Grail Engine Technologies

They have devloped a new 2 stroke engine that is enviromentally friendly, can run on almost any fuel, and weighs next to nothing. I belive the 100hp motor has 1 cylinder, and weighs less than 75 lbs....imagine the posibilities.

One Liter Engine Projections based upon vehicle weight and engine demand:

* 100+ MPG’s
* 180 ft lbs Torque
* 200 Horse Power

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya the old wankles are real light but the new ones are heavy

Yes, I was talking about the new ones. (RX8) They are using the new one in Formula Mazda. Love those engines, bullet proof! My car went off track at Mosport and pack the rads with grass. By the time the car get into pit lane the water temp were very high (I have 260F in mind... can remember exactly) I clean the rad and send him out... that engine finish the season... amazing. A regular engine would have melt down!

Quick search...

Bone naked block is 185 lbs

All dress up around 270ish

Accordingly to the website I found. Not as heavy as I tough... don't know why they told me it was heavy... maybe heavy for the size? Because it is a small package...

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I believe Chevrolet had a prototype corvette with a rotary and Arctic Cat had a snowmobile with a rotary.