The new 300cc bikes now available.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
On another forum, someone brought up the new 300cc bikes available from the usual suspects and KTM. Given KTM's reliability issues and anorexic dealer network, they are completely out of consideration for me.

I also am not a fan of one cylinder road bikes, so that rules out Honda's offering. That leaves kawasaki and yamaha. I would choose the Yamaha. I think it would make a fun street bike and a good track bike.

What say ye?

This space intentionally left blank.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I say YE to that!

A friend and I alway talked about how fun it would be if we had an available track near by to own a couple of 250cc bikes to go race around with. I liked the idea of a lower power bike to play on a track with. A person would really have to learn how to be efficient in corners with it to keep lap times down.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a 250 Ninja on Montezuma Valley Rd. working hard in the turns. Gives you much respect for a good rider on a 250 or 300. I've always wanted a smaller cc bike as a project bike or alternative ride. I also would rather have a twin over a single.
I'm also interested in like a TW 200.. :)

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you looking at replacing an FZ6 with a 300 cc? I don't know if I could give up the power I get out of the FZ6, Ive ridden friends smaller bikes and they just didn't do it for me for on the street/touring riding

I also really like the idea of a small displacement track bike, I went to a Canadian super bike series race this past summer, they had a CBR 250R class which honestly was the most fun to watch, super competitive and really about rider skill. Not to say the big bikes don't take skill, but the winning rider having a S1000RR probably didn't hurt

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you looking at replacing an FZ6 with a 300 cc? I don't know if I could give up the power I get out of the FZ6, Ive ridden friends smaller bikes and they just didn't do it for me for on the street/touring riding

I also really like the idea of a small displacement track bike, I went to a Canadian super bike series race this past summer, they had a CBR 250R class which honestly was the most fun to watch, super competitive and really about rider skill. Not to say the big bikes don't take skill, but the winning rider having a S1000RR probably didn't hurt

No, not giving up the FZ6. I was just posing the question, after seeing a discussion in an auto forum. They seem to think this would be a hot seller. It may be. It may entice new riders, especially ones looking at economy.

This space intentionally left blank.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site

I definitely couldnt give up the fz6 for touring/street riding. The power there is definitely needed (or wanted... but then again i have a hard time distinguishing between needs and wants, Lol).
On occasion i ride my gf's GS500, I just hate it on the highway, just not enough power. I couldnt imagine trying to ride that thing up some mtn passes in Colorado.

But on a track I could definitly see having a 250 and imagine that it would be a hoot!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my old, 2005 KLR 250 on the Dragon several times.

Of course it doesn't put out much power however, as tall as it is, as light as it is, I could just about drag the pegs in the corners as it handles that well.. That's with 95% Pirelli street tires.

I could easily keep up with ANYTHING in the corners, in the straights, ah, no....

The one trip we did, my friend had a VT1800, I was on the KLR. Of course he'd smoke me in the straights, but I'd leave him (with 1/4 the HP, maybe...) in the twisties...

Definitly a fun bike, 70+ MPG, and great handling..

That was one of my favorite bikes, the FZ replaced it. (The main, LS crank bearing ((roller)) would fail every 32,000 miles requiring a full engine break down).

The main roller bearing under the cam/balancer sprocket (under the flywheel/rotor)would fail;
Those are balancer shafts to the left and right of the crank.

Last edited:

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I think a small displacement bike would be a lot of fun at the track or up in the mountains. But I wouldn't want to ride it on the freeway to get there and back. :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think a small displacement bike would be a lot of fun at the track or up in the mountains. But I wouldn't want to ride it on the freeway to get there and back. :(

Mine would huff and puff to do 70-75 MPH. We trailered up there to the Smokies. One up it wasn't bad, two up, VERY SLUGGISH...

Actually, I've been stopped more on that bike (stock, quiet exhaust) by law enforcement than the FZ with open Scorp's, my old FJR(very quick) as I would/could go around corners MUCH faster, very hard lean, than anything else on the road.

Last edited:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i really like the idea of Honda's new 300 naked, the CB300F. saw it at the ims and it looked great for a small bike. at around $4,000 would be my choice

if not 6'3, 220lbs, that is. even if i were 190lb (i'll get there!) i think it would be too cramped for most of my duty...but otherwise i am liking it a lot

090414-2015-Honda-CB300F-f.jpg

ok, that is a one cylinder bike and ruled out for OP. but i like it so :Flip:

:D

speaking of KTM however, Hyosung is bringing this bike over to us, i believe. i like its looks and the styling evokes the Duke. its a 250 but just as well as a 300, most likely. its called GD250n. could be an interesting choice if you have a dealer near

ImageResizerWM.ashx

ImageResizerWM.ashx

ImageResizerWM.ashx

Last edited: