The Frame Itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekon

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a big problem. As many of you more technical folks are aware.. the frame itself costs $762.74. I have been in an accident in which a cars bumper crushed my foot into my 2008 FZ6... smashing my left peg plate and shift assembly, and tearing the left hand rear frame bolt straight out of the frame (bolt took a 2sq inch piece of frame with it). Flesh truely is stronger than Steel ;). Even though i crushed all 4 instep bones, snapped my ankle.. and the shattered mud guard under the seat sliced a 1 inch deep 6 inch long gash from my heel to my big toe. Ill post pics of my blood spattered under the seat and even on the tank and frame.

My question.. for the love of all that is holy tell me that the frame can be welded.

and comment... besides a bent handlebar and a few minor scuffs... the bolt placement from the frame to the engine on the side that it fell on... opposite of impact... the bitch peg and driver peg and frame bolts managed to hold the paint and all fairings and the cowlings off the ground. Way to go Yamaha. The folding blinkers and mirrors.... a godsend.

Please help... i cant afford a frame right now... well my credit card can... but then i wont be able to eat.. which is fine really.....

Last edited:

Rekon

Reaction score
Visit site
I crashed sunday morning at about 3 am on the 27th with comprehensive and liability. My full coverage went into effect monday the 28th. Nuts to me. I attached pics of my foot... and my gore on the bike. If you are a sympathetic puker... id suggest not looking down... +++WARNING++ not for the light hearted. Notice my bodily spatter on the chain... how graceful

Last edited:
J

jsteinb95

I crashed sunday morning at about 3 am on the 27th with comprehensive and liability. My full coverage went into effect monday the 28th. Nuts to me.

Were you switching companies? How come you didn't have full coverage? What about the driver that hit you?

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
The frame is aluminum & can be welded by TIG & MIG welding won't do. Takes an experienced welder to TIG good. Just welding is probably not your worst worry - there's things that are probably bent out of shape (you & the metal), that will need some attention before welding.:(
Hope your injury recoveries don't get you down, and you'll be back on the road again soon.

Rekon

Reaction score
Visit site
Problem is HE slammed on his brakes... on a brand new road, i had a 30 mph two second follow on him... and could not stop. It was in a construction zone and some nimrod worker decided it would be ok to jump out with a stop sign flag. Driver in front of me never saw him till the last second then got on his brakes hard. i couldnt swerve into the construction because i would have killed a road worker. so i turned into a slide and tried to bail. Foot ended up in between my bike and his bumper before i could eject. I hit.. my foot took the impact away from my bike, threw me off while simultaniously laceracting my foot wide open right through my kevlar mil-spec boots. i shoulder rolled on the ground. Then proceeded to sit there and bleed all over the road.

Rekon

Reaction score
Visit site
The frame is aluminum & can be welded by TIG & MIG welding won't do. Takes an experienced welder to TIG good. Just welding is probably not your worst worry - there's things that are probably bent out of shape (you & the metal), that will need some attention before welding.:(
Hope your injury recoveries don't get you down, and you'll be back on the road again soon.

Thank you :thumbup:... ill get a pic up of the blasted tear in a sec.. you can see it in the last pic a little.. ill get a good shot... lemme just hobble out to the garage

J

jsteinb95

That sucks, man! Well, even if the frame can be welded, I wouldn't do it.

Start saving your money, I guess.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you :thumbup:... ill get a pic up of the blasted tear in a sec.. you can see it in the last pic a little.. ill get a good shot... lemme just hobble out to the garage

No, no.....................stay wherever you are & rest up! :eek: Any pics can wait!!

Rekon

Reaction score
Visit site
ITS TOO LATE!!! Heres the best I can get . Notice the hairline crack as well. It is cause for grave concern. Also my blood... which is cool in a way. But painful :(

MY FOOT DID THIS!!! Man over machine eh?

OHcrap!

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that sucks!! I hate to keep the wounds open but how long had you had the bike? From the sound of things you were suited up and still, look at the damage. Now think of what it would have been like if you had been one of these idiots I see riding around in tank tops and flip flops!! Your accident is just another valid reason to get good gear AND USE IT for all of those who think its too hot to wear a jacket. I hope you heal fast. I don't know about getting the frame welded. I guess if that's your only option, but I would be worried about what else could be wrong.

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Good God Man! Get in the house and get better. Relax, read some cycle mags, bikes can be fixed/replaced.

Take your pain med. Stay off that foot! :spank:

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
wow,,the pictures are pretty pad!

i hope you get better soon,,,
i think you can get the frame welded but if you think about it,when you want to sell your fz in the future with the welded frame it will be worth less probably $1000 from what it was a week ago..so you have already lost that money,,,if i were you i would try to get into a new frame and that way in the future you will feel better while riding it and your bike will be worth like a normal FZ value..

frame damages scare the crap out of the buyers...no surprise there

S

sportrider

I would say that tab could be welded back on,BUT if the hit was strong enough to tear the aluminum, you need to have the frame checked to be sure it didn't get stressed anywhere else or bent. from my experience the insurance will call your bike totaled. the vehicle that hit you is responsible. do not settle for anything other than a replacement bike plus some cash money for pain & suffering plus loss of income for time missed from work. don't take there first offer either, most likely they are going to low ball you. don't admit to anything other then it was the other drivers fault. be careful what you say most of the time phone calls are recorded. if your not happy with what they offer you threaten to call a lawyer, if that doesn't work call one that specializes in motorcycle accidents like Russ Brown (not a plug) glad you survived!!!!

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would assume that if you hit his back bumper, the driver in front of you wont be held liable for any claims. Well, thats how it is in Kentucky. Have you thought about suing the construction company? I'm sure if you still are in contact with the driver that you hit, perhaps they could be a witness in small claims court?

That also puts the point that we all need a lot of space behind the car in front of us. Bikes stop really fast in most instances, but considering that it takes .5 to almost a full second for your brain to react, and you were 3 seconds behind that person, you really didnt have enough cushion to prevent something like this.
I'm really sorry you were injured, you need to focus on healing up, bones take time to mend, and the trauma you experienced will take some time to work itself out. Good luck and get well.

does JB weld work on aluminum?

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the shi tz bro.....Rest up and get back in the saddle....Hopefully your insurance company sees it your way

S

sportrider

oops my bad, I mis-read how it happened, I thought you were rear ended. it's a different ball game if you hit him.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.