The adventures of a broken clutch cable

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the cable pressure tool I use (one bolt only as I've had it 20+ years). And yes, the pivot was actualy squeeking on mine.

If your cable is acting up and sticking after a day or two, its sounds like the inner cable is broken inside the outter cable (knotting up)... I agree, a new cable sounds like its in order (its cheap enough and not worth getting stuck/wrecked over).....

After the new one is in, I'd cut one end off the old one off and pull it apart and see if there's any broken strands, crap/rust in the there...

Scott

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the cable pressure tool I use (one bolt only as I've had it 20+ years). And yes, the pivot was actualy squeeking on mine.

If your cable is acting up and sticking after a day or two, its sounds like the inner cable is broken inside the outter cable (knotting up)... I agree, a new cable sounds like its in order (its cheap enough and not worth getting stuck/wrecked over).....

After the new one is in, I'd cut one end off the old one off and pull it apart and see if there's any broken strands, crap/rust in the there...

Scott

good call on cutting it apart, I'm curious to see what's going on inside there too, will report back once I do

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
So I replaced the cable, clutch is super smooth now. Very easy job (and I'm a very below average home mechanic) once you take the tank, battery, and air box off it's straight forward, took me maybe 45 minutes total.

Cut the old cable apart and it was actually in very good shape, outside of some crud built up at the lever end didn't see anything visually wrong with it, might be some rust buildup in the housing. Either way, new cable is on, new tires are on, bike is good to go.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I replaced the cable, clutch is super smooth now. Very easy job (and I'm a very below average home mechanic) once you take the tank, battery, and air box off it's straight forward, took me maybe 45 minutes total.

Cut the old cable apart and it was actually in very good shape, outside of some crud built up at the lever end didn't see anything visually wrong with it, might be some rust buildup in the housing. Either way, new cable is on, new tires are on, bike is good to go.

Well you had me in hig hopes saying that it was very easy to replace from a guy who's below average home mechanic, until I saw that you had to remove the tank, battery and air box:confused: What does that put me?

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so I'm not that bad of a mechanic, but far from good. If you know how to take the tank off yourself, you can manage the rest without much trouble