That's what she said ... (CalSci Windshield review)

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
11" is definitely an improvement over 9".

Several months ago I ordered the Large version of the CalSci windshield and was very pleased with the wind protection that the screen provided. Unfortunately, the windshield put the aristream right at my helmet level (I'm 6'0"), and as a result created quite a roar in my helmet. Earplugs were required for my 25 min. commute, or my ears would be ringing by the time I got to work.

I contacted Mark Lawrence at CalSci and he said that they could swap to the larger (11" XL) screen assuming that the original was still in good shape (otherwise he would do it for a nominal fee). Got the new windshield last week and rode to work with it today, and I'm happy to say that the roar is more like a loud whoosh now (no ringing). While the screen was in transit, I rode without one and while the wind noise was much reduced, I was pushed around uncomfortably. Wind protection with the XL is awesome, and I was able to ride comfortably in very gusty conditions today.

Kudos to Mark for making a satisfied customer into a very happy one.

The downside to this screen is that it really takes away from the sporty look, but I'm more of a tourer anyways ...

IMG_2661.jpg

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it. Does take away from the look a bit, but to each his own. You think the 9" would be good for a 5'10" guy such as myself?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not that I'm planning on getting one as I like my Puig double bubble, but how does the tall windscreen perform at high speeds? Like 100mph +, does the windscreen bend back from the force of the wind?

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
Like 100mph +
Isn't that over the speed limit? :D

I'm only a one year old rider so I get thrilled just goosing it above 80mph. I got up to 75 ish on my ride home and there was a little bit of deflection at the top with buffeting. Since I was riding into a very stiff wind, that actually could've been approaching triple digits of relative airspeed. IT was strong enough to be pushing the bike around, but I felt a lot more in control since I didn't feel like I was being pushed off the bike (like when I was riding with NO windscreen).

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
You think the 9\" would be good for a 5'10\" guy such as myself?
Depends on where your height is concentrated. I'm actually more leggy, so the XL might fit me like the Large would fit someone with a taller upper body. Note that I am still easily looking over the windshield and not through it.

The good news is that the CalSci dudes were very accomodating with respect to swaps.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Clunk, I've had almost an identical experience with the +9.5 CalSci: wind protection is very good, very reduced buffetting by turbulence, but helmet roar is painful. I've had ringing ears as well. It becomes tolerable with earplugs, but I may want to discuss with Mark at Calsci for upgrading to the +11 as well.

I'm not much bothered by the somewhat gawky look of the CalSci. I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking I'm a racer. In fact, I tend to have a higher degree of initial respect for riders who have comfortable-looking setups: there's someone who values function over form!