Test Rode a 2013 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
A new Ducati dealership offering demo rides popped up just a few miles from my house, so I figured I'd go check it out.

After some talking with the salesman he said that if I wanted an actual upgrade from my FZ6 my best bet would be the 1100. He told me that it would easily be faster than the FZ6 and will have a lot more punch down low.

While it was true that the bike had more low end torque, the rest of the experience left me wanting my FZ6 back. The torque of the Ducati doesn't make up for what felt like very short gearing and an even touchier throttle than my FZ6. I felt like I had to shift constantly to keep from riding the thing at red line. The shift lever felt sticky and the rear brake lever was way too low for me to reach with my right foot.

In the end it was a fun ride on a nice bike, I just really prefer the higher revving FZ6 that's already in my garage.

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Funny you say this, I often wonder if the 1100 is the black sheep of the monster family. I was looking a bit ago, and its the only ducati that seems to be a 'deal' after a few used years. Thanks for sharing!

BajaBob

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always loved the Monster series but I have too heard they can live up their names. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I had that bike on the bottom of my short list. :thumbup:

Now if I can get you guys to review the Speed Triple vs an FZ6.:D

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
A new Ducati dealership offering demo rides popped up just a few miles from my house, so I figured I'd go check it out.

After some talking with the salesman he said that if I wanted an actual upgrade from my FZ6 my best bet would be the 1100. He told me that it would easily be faster than the FZ6 and will have a lot more punch down low.

While it was true that the bike had more low end torque, the rest of the experience left me wanting my FZ6 back. The torque of the Ducati doesn't make up for what felt like very short gearing and an even touchier throttle than my FZ6. I felt like I had to shift constantly to keep from riding the thing at red line. The shift lever felt sticky and the rear brake lever was way too low for me to reach with my right foot.

In the end it was a fun ride on a nice bike, I just really prefer the higher revving FZ6 that's already in my garage.

Interesting. When I was shopping for a new bike, it was between the Speed triple and the Evo. I never got to test ride the Evo. But i loved the Speed Triple. I felt that it was the best compromise for an engine for street use. Not much for longer rides though. However I am sure there are people who do it.

I suppose it all depends on what kind of riding characteristic you like. I ended up buying a V-Strom 650 (go figure) which happens to be a V-twin. After not riding my Fazer for about 3 months I jumped on it yesterday and I was shocked how little power it has in lower and mid rpms. I got used to the v-strom's 650 and that pulls like a tractor. I can't lie after few minutes of riding on my fazer I missed the whiny noise of the I4 engine and if you spool up the fazer to higher rpms it's a joy to ride and gun the corners.

It all depends where you keep the engine. If you keep it in it's peak power rpms you can have a lot of fun on the twisties with a v-twin.

I still would love to test ride the Evo, but so far my heart has fallen in love with the triple cylinder engines.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I had that bike on the bottom of my short list. :thumbup:

Now if I can get you guys to review the Speed Triple vs an FZ6.:D

Yasko,

I test rode the Speed Triple R and it's an absolute joy to ride.

Seating position is fairly the same but without the front fairing it feels like you are sitting closer to the front of the bike.

In terms of the power, it handles fantastic. Lots of torque and power throughout the whole range of rpms.

I even took it out on the highway and before I knew it I was doing above 100mph. LOADS of power. Almost scary.

I don't think I would like to use the bike for a prolonged super slab ride. Lack of the front fairing and pronounced engine vibrations would become annoying to me. keep in mind that the whole test ride was only 20 minutes of which I maybe spent a little on the highway so take my observations about engine vibrations on highway with a grain of salt. I am sure there are people who ride it for longer rides with no complaints. It was just my quick observation at the time.

Speed Triple was just fantastic. I would love to test ride the Yammy's new MT-09 to see how it compares to it.

It's on my top of the list to replace the FZ6. The Ducati Evo is on the bottom of my list too. But I never test rode it so I can't really say much about it.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yasko,

I test rode the Speed Triple R and it's an absolute joy to ride.

Seating position is fairly the same but without the front fairing it feels like you are sitting closer to the front of the bike.

In terms of the power, it handles fantastic. Lots of torque and power throughout the whole range of rpms.

I even took it out on the highway and before I knew it I was doing above 100mph. LOADS of power. Almost scary.

I don't think I would like to use the bike for a prolonged super slab ride. Lack of the front fairing and pronounced engine vibrations would become annoying to me. keep in mind that the whole test ride was only 20 minutes of which I maybe spent a little on the highway so take my observations about engine vibrations on highway with a grain of salt. I am sure there are people who ride it for longer rides with no complaints. It was just my quick observation at the time.

Speed Triple was just fantastic. I would love to test ride the Yammy's new MT-09 to see how it compares to it.

It's on my top of the list to replace the FZ6. The Ducati Evo is on the bottom of my list too. But I never test rode it so I can't really say much about it.

I never rode the FZ6 but coming from the FZ6R... other than the last few bits of RPM the bike should be within close enough. On the 6R I tried everything from different bars, rider no riser, gel grip or heavy bar end. Doesn't matter what I did, my hand end up numb after 30 minutes. So I just install a throttle lock and lived with it. The FZ-09 got more of a low frequency twin vibe. Not as high pitch. I can drive the 09 for hours with no hand numbing issue.

The only bad thing I can say of the 09 is the seat. Short ride are not too bad. But a combination of forward slope and grippy seat cover make your skin want to shear off your ass after a while. My 6R was about the same but your butt was sliding against the tank and that was it. On the 09 it doesn't slip = PITA.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I never rode the FZ6 but coming from the FZ6R... other than the last few bits of RPM the bike should be within close enough. On the 6R I tried everything from different bars, rider no riser, gel grip or heavy bar end. Doesn't matter what I did, my hand end up numb after 30 minutes. So I just install a throttle lock and lived with it. The FZ-09 got more of a low frequency twin vibe. Not as high pitch. I can drive the 09 for hours with no hand numbing issue.

The only bad thing I can say of the 09 is the seat. Short ride are not too bad. But a combination of forward slope and grippy seat cover make your skin want to shear off your ass after a while. My 6R was about the same but your butt was sliding against the tank and that was it. On the 09 it doesn't slip = PITA.

That's exactly how I would describe the vibrations. Very similar to my V-strom's v-twin vibrations on the highway. I don't think it would really be that uncomfortable on the highway. Probably the lack of the front fairing might have been the bigger issue for me. I think the speed triple has that small fly screen you can put on. I am not sure how much it would really help though.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly how I would describe the vibrations. Very similar to my V-strom's v-twin vibrations on the highway. I don't think it would really be that uncomfortable on the highway. Probably the lack of the front fairing might have been the bigger issue for me. I think the speed triple has that small fly screen you can put on. I am not sure how much it would really help though.

Win to me is not an issue up to about 70 MPH... then well it's fine for a short period of time. There's fly screen out there already for the MT-09 so they should get here very shortly.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone.:cheer:

Marthy you're the best rep on the web for the FZ-09. If I were with Yamaha, I'd put you on the payroll.:cheer: