Temperature question

BrianDubbs

Reaction score
Visit site
I was out for my first ride today, and after stopping the fan came on, not the unusual part, but the bike went from 180ish operating temp up to 220+ as it turned off.

Just wondering as I am new to the bike what the average temps were for you all, and if this is something I should look into. The manual says not to worry until 243 but it was a cooler day out.:confused:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
When you shut the engine off, coolant is no longer circulating and the engine can get hotter. As long as it doesn't get too hot, it's normal.

W

wrightme43

If the engine isnt turning heat really doesnt matter as long as its not actually glowing or anything. If so dont throw water on it, and you will probably be ok.

(ps. has anyone noticed that I finally after being 35 years old actually learned how to spell probably?) I am very proud.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, when the coolant stops flowing the heat just rises through the engine. Don't worry about it too much. If you were to start it up when it was at that temp, it would have very quickly dropped back down.

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeh, like everyone else said, it's normal. When you do two-up riding it can shoot up really quick and high after a period of hard riding and then stopping as the engine works harder.