Tas Rally 09 (may of ruined a tyre)

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it's been off for a while but the annual Tas Rally was on again this year and I had a fantastic time for the long weekend. For those who don't know what a bike rally is, it's a large party of motorcyclists coming together for a weekend of celebrating being motorcyclists with camping and events such as bands, burnout comps, wet t shirt, motorcycle orientated games etc etc. Lotsa Beer was consumed among other THINGS, too much food was eaten, the bands were surprisingly OK, and we had an awesome ride through the twisties on the way up and a relaxing ride home on the Highway.

Only down point is I may have ruined my rear tyre. It's OK, it's rideable but I don't think i'll be able to do the track day later this month. The stewards wouldn't let me ride. I was mucking about (boys will be boys) and was doing a little burnout on the grass and the tyre hit a piece of quartz in the ground and ripped a line right around the tyre about half the tread depth. I'm such a silly boy.

The Pheasant

Reaction score
Visit site
Tyre looks fine to me. The cut has not gone through the tread, no carcass visible, so the integrity of the tyre won't have been compromised. You even got yourself a bit more tread pattern. Hard to say if the track stewards will see it that way...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
+1 - wouldn't ride it hard...the integrity of how it holds as you turn "could" be compromised...I don't know enough about tires, but if you putt around town, then I'd use it, but wouldn't go over 45mph on it.

*I have no idea what I'm talking about, just my personal opinion.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

come on guys he did say wet t-shirt contest! :thumbup:

ok don't really post those here, we all know this is a family site.... :D

sucks about your tire (tyre) but I wouldn't ride on it either.

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were taking photos of the wet t shirt I am sure I would of been dragged away by security. Have you ever tried taking your camera into a strip club?

As for the tyre I rode it 200 kms home at an average of 130km/h and if anything the tyre had improved by my arrival home. Rubber had seemed to fill the crack up a little. A mate of mine who owns the company which imports Michelins into Tasmania says the tyre is fine, but I should of taken it out to the burnout comp and seen if i could get it to melt together a little. However he said the way Race stewards are they prob won't let me on the track. Alternatively I could do about 4000 kms in the next 2 weeks and get it back to a tread level where it can't be seen.