Tall Windshield Advice Needed

Shantideva

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey FZ6ers'

I need some help deciding what is the best option for more wind/weather & noise protection. I will be riding all winter in the Northern California cold rain with quite a few 150 mile (mostly highway 80-90 mph) trips between SF and my land in the sierra foothills. I have read all the previous posts and have distilled the following available options for the FZ6 2004-6 (let me know if you know of any others). Does anybody have personal experience or advice with these?

Yamaha's OEM
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/a...il/5/430/1795/11783/all/1/4389/0/detail.aspx"

Gustafsson
http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail.asp?prod=zzRobRicheyYamahaFZ604068

Laminar
Laminar Products for Yamaha FZ-6

Puig (this one looks too small to make much difference)
58cycle Parts & Accessories Webstore

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
i have the Gustafsson, i am 5'10, and it provide very good protection. on the down side, the fit is terrible, and probably causes quite a bit of noise. it almost looks like when the manufactured the mold to make this windshield, they used the OEM screen and just made their windshield fit over the top. as a result, the edges of the gustafsson do not meet the rest of the fairing in the correct location as do other windscreens (from above the headlights and beyond to the upper corners of the fairing, you can see it in the pic on their website).

ive ordered a Puig racing screen that i will try next. i didnt know Laminar Lip made something for the 04-06 fz6s, i am a fan of the Laminar Lip, i had one on my Vstrom prior to my fz6.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
also you may want to check out cal-sci (not sure if I spelled it correctly) I think they make a pretty tall windscreen for the FZ6

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the puig double bubble screen on mine. The original screen deflected the wind into my neck which wasn't comfortable at all. The double bubble deflects it up to the helmet or higher which makes a vast improvement.

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the puig double bubble screen on mine. The original screen deflected the wind into my neck which wasn't comfortable at all. The double bubble deflects it up to the helmet or higher which makes a vast improvement.
I have just the opposite feelings for the Puig Double Bubble Racing Windscreen. The original windscreen hit me in the upper chest which was better for wind noise than the Double Bubble which sends the wind to my helmet giving me the bobble head syndrome with a lot of wind noise.

The Double Bubble looks cooler so I have left it but I am contemplating cutting it down.

In my opinion the Puig Windscreen is definitely way to short for adequate wind protection unless you 5'4".

ibsrp

Reaction score
Visit site
I just this afternoon installed the Cee Bailey's windshield on my 2008. It is the
middle sized one recommended for my height. It seems very well made and does
a great job blocking the wind from my chest area.

I was hoping it would also clear up all the helmet noise I am getting but it didn't.

I am very happy with it but I am still going to have to do something about the wind noise. It is driving me crazy.

I can put my hand up about 4 inches over the middle of the shield at highway speed and the noise almost disappears.

Good luck.

pras1980

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Puig screen too. It looks nice and it is a definite improvement over the OE one. The fit is excellent too.
But on the down side its more noisy.

Now going at 60 mph feels like 50 mph with OE screen.
Wearing ear plugs helps a lot.

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
I just this afternoon installed the Cee Bailey's windshield on my 2008. It is the
middle sized one recommended for my height. It seems very well made and does
a great job blocking the wind from my chest area.

I was hoping it would also clear up all the helmet noise I am getting but it didn't.

I am very happy with it but I am still going to have to do something about the wind noise. It is driving me crazy.

I've just installed the tallest Cee Bailey's and still have some wind noise, too. Let us know if and how you manage to sort it; I will, too. I'm thinking maybe adjusting the handlebars down just a bit so my helmet drops into the quiet zone behind the screen?

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks taki, that is good to know about the Gustafsson because i was leaning that way. I am wondering now if the way to go is the Yamaha OEM Tall + the Laminar?!

since the OEM tall has a different curvature towards the top of the shield, the laminar lip might not work with the OEM tall, you might contact laminar lip to ask...