Talk me out of it

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend is selling an 06 ZX10R for a great price (right around $5k), it has a full titanium akrapovic carbon exhaust, ohlins rear suspension, powercommander, speedo healer, scotts dampner and 15k miles. It looks great (aside from not being Kawasaki Green), and good god does it have power. It is STUPID fast. I think it's pushing around 170-180 horses, on my testride yesterday I effortlessly power wheelied in first and second. I got back from the ride and couldn't wipe the smile off of my face.

The thing is. As awesome as this bike is and being a good deal, I don't need it. I live in a city, the gas mileage is as bad as my overweight, awd sport sedan, and did I mention it's black?

My dream bike has always been a Kawasaki Green 636 (probably the '13 model, I like the paint better than the anniversary edition that's out now), but this deal is almost too good to pass up. Also I feel that I'm less likely to kill myself on the.

Talk me out of it guys. Seriously.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a bad purchase for the reasons you mentioned.

It is -
not your color.
a waste. In the city, you'll be doing the speed limit in 0.5 seconds.
terribly inefficient.
not your desired bike.

It's only an amazing deal to someone who wants that bike.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're like most on here, you like the FZ6 for its comfort, speed, and frugality. Buying a ZX10 you will be spending more money on the bike, insurance, fuel, speeding tickets, tires, etc. Not to mention it is probably more likely targeted by thieves. The speed is addicting, but honestly, how often will you use it?

that being said, is this deal exclusive to you or can some of us get in on it? :D

Tahlen

Reaction score
Visit site
My brother-in-law recently swapped bikes with me on a ride and let me try out his Ducati 749. It was pretty good fun but all in all I was happy to be back on my FZ. I don't think I could ever grow to like riding a fully commited supersport riding position. Obviously if you don't like riding it because of comfort it doesn't matter how much fun it is. And don't get me wrong - it was a blast to ride (for 20 mins Blah)

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're like most on here, you like the FZ6 for its comfort, speed, and frugality. Buying a ZX10 you will be spending more money on the bike, insurance, fuel, speeding tickets, tires, etc. Not to mention it is probably more likely targeted by thieves. The speed is addicting, but honestly, how often will you use it?

that being said, is this deal exclusive to you or can some of us get in on it? :D

He's moving to Texas and is selling it and his 01? Speed Triple - (lighten the load I guess, buying a bike to replace them when he gets down there) so he's looking to get rid of it, listed on CL at $5000. Except I'm buying it so hands off! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Except I'm buying it so hands off! :rolleyes:

Well guys, looks like we failed to talk him out of it.

Pook, ol' buddy, you made a great argument but you're thinking rationally and you didn't factor in the emotion of the situation. :drool::drool::drool:

It might have worked better to appeal to the vanity issues, something like, "Holy crap, I'd NEVER ride a blacked out bike." Or (if you know his estrogen level is higher than usual) you might say "You know, I hear that riding one of those bikes makes you look 15 pounds heavier!"

Chris

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A dream bike is supposed to be exactly what you want and any deviation from it will just be a purchase that you didn't plan. Part of the reason I've been patiently waiting for my Ducati MTS.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoop, haven't done it yet, don't think I'm going to - but I felt that saying I was going to buy it would garner better responses :)

I agree Vegas.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Tommy, which response do you want? :D How does each bike fit 90% of your riding? Question 2 - what was the link to the CL listing ;) Life is short!

Oh, btw, there's nothing wrong with having two bikes!!:rockon: Or, nine:thumbup:

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Look, IF U wrote this topic than for me U are already fixed on buying this bike. I'd buy it and maybe regret later / sell. Better this than not buyingand regretting God knows how long :)