Tail light problems (LEDs)

detpilot

Reaction score
Visit site
So I bought the bike (05) with an aftermarket led light, it kinda does a ghostrider like flash thing when im not on the brakes. When i hit them, it flashes. However, today for the 2nd time, a cager told me my tail light was out (and brake light). When i turn the bike off and back on, it works. i have traced the lines and can't find a short. Obviously, I don't want this to be happening on the regular... any suggestions?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's probably a chip or logic control malfunctioning in the circuit on the tail light assembly. This is assuming the assembly has been wired correctly. If you can ID the assembly, try to get a wiring diagram for it. Maybe someone on the forum has this model and can help out. You maybe be able to search the WWW for one. Do the obvious and make sure the signals from the bike (left/right and brake) are going to the corresponding (left/right and Brake) wires on the tail lamp assembly. One of the most common problems with any of these circuits is the ground return. If it's tied anywhere to the chassis make sure it's secure. Many times these things are an easy fix but they take a lot of energy and testing to resolve. Most of all be safe!

Obviously this is a safety issue and should be corrected asap.

Good Luck!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bump...maybe some one on the forum can add or help out on this question?

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but the way you describe it, it sounds more like one of those cheapy spinning LED replacement bulbs rather than the whole integrated tail unit. Far as I know the integrated units don't do any "ghostrider" stuff when you're off the brakes but I've seen those spinning LED bulbs that spin when you're off the brakes then flash when you hit them. if that's the case just get a new one or save $10-15 and maybe a rear-end collision from a hypnotized cager and get a regular bulb.