SuperMotards

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not exactly MBS but i am planning on getting a new bike by the time summer rolls around. im trying to sell my shifterkart link here and buy an off road machine that can double as a SuperMoto. i have to buy used so that limits my options a little, but im looking for a regular sized dirt machine (250-450* cc's) and buying some supermoto wheels and a light kit. also will need electric start, because i want it to be fully street legal, as well as off road riding. heres what im looking at so far:

(1) KTM EXC-F models >> electric start and lights standard easy to convert, +SM rims
(2) DRZ 400SM >> ready to run, but then need to buy some dirt rims as well
(3) Yamaha WR models >> same as KTM but lower on my list
(4) Honda CRF-X models >> ranked slightly above the yamahas, because i already have 2 hondas in the garage (interchangeable parts are nice)
(5) Husqvarna >> if i could find a good one used and for cheap, this will go at the top of my list, but im not holding my breath.

what do you good people of the forum think? and yes im keeping the FZ:thumbup: i just want to fart around town on the SM. My brother is getting too big for his bike so im giving him my old crf230, and ive been wanting something with better suspension anyway.

also if you want to buy the kart, send me a PM.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I think all the choices are good, maybe think about the service schedule on them, I know some of ktm's are short in terms of use. Especially compared to the FZ6.
Also if you're thinking of doing a lot of offroad check the weight. The drz is considered to be a bit heavy by some but a good cheap starter.

I went for a 690 enduro r a couple of months ago, easier to convert to sm this way. But a exc converted to sm would be a better supermoto.
I only went with the 690 as I want to use it for longer trips.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i own dirtbikes, ive rebuilt them and understand the service intervals. and again its NOT a replacement for the FZ. i want another dirtbike, but i am planning ahead on which would double as a SM best for the money. and for the record i do a full service (oil, filters, chain fiddling, etc.) on my dirtbikes every 100-150 mi anyway. on the street i feel an SM could go 500mi without adjustments since there's no impact and im not "balls to the wall" all the time.

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
euros
ktm, husky, husaberg, etc
Simply because I feel the build quality is far superior to most out there. I looked at getting a husky sm410 for a long time before I gave up looking, not because I didnt want it rather there are so few available (and in my budget).
secondary ..
yammy.
My brother and a friend run the WR set up with both dirt and street setups. I've heard nothing but praise from them. They used to ride zuk and kawy but have preferred the yammy.
its all up to you, anything else is just everyone else's two cents.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
euros
ktm, husky, husaberg, etc
Simply because I feel the build quality is far superior to most out there. I looked at getting a husky sm410 for a long time before I gave up looking, not because I didnt want it rather there are so few available (and in my budget).
secondary ..
yammy.
My brother and a friend run the WR set up with both dirt and street setups. I've heard nothing but praise from them. They used to ride zuk and kawy but have preferred the yammy.
its all up to you, anything else is just everyone else's two cents.

The yammis are actually toward the bottom of my list, just because their dirt stuff just doesnt seem to hold up as well as others. i used to ride with guys that are much more meticulous than me (and thats saying quite a lot) and they'd have problems all the time, but then that was a few years ago. im not discounting them but they're definitely behind KTM and Honda.

definite +1 on husky's being hard to come by. and i want to start with a dirtbike with lights, and convert to SM because i want the longer/better suspension travel for off road riding. it will also need electric start and preferably a kick starter as well.