Strip - rebuild

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Some of you may recall my problem with the cracked frame.

Sadly the weld hasn't lasted, but it was a possibility at the time, since the weld was only done on one side. We suspect that one of the ribs on the inside on the frame still had a crack, which spread.

So most likely month end, i'll be taking a week off work. Hopefully i can strip the frame over the weekend, get it to the welder monday morning. Tuesday i should be able to collect, then spend the rest of the week rebuilding.

Since i am stripping the frame out, and the bike is on 100 000km, i think it would be a good idea for a nice overhaul. Immediate on my list are the swingarm, and engine mounts. Steering head i did recently, but needs to be retightened etc.

So a few questions:

What else should i be looking at?
Fork oil: should i change? If so, how?
Removing the engine: what should i NOT do, or what should i be careful of?

This is just a brainstorming thread, trying to get my head straight before i do something really stupid (highly likely ;-) )

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take lots of pictures, lable wire connectors (both ends "a" to "a", etc).

The engine should drop straight down after unplugging, removing exhaust and unbolting. I believe you can leave the throttle bodies on.

I'd also download the shop manual (available on this forum) and have it handy for torque values, etc....

I would probably, if possible remove and re-install in the new frame one section/part at a time. It may take a little longer but doing just the front end at a time over to the new frame BUT would be less daunting than stripping out the entire brike frame and having a garage full of parts (what goes first/next?)

Good luck...

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Aha ... dude, my manual is in 2 big files, the printed papers in plastic sleeves so i don't make them dirty while working!!!! (highly recommended btw).

Yes, pictures ... lots, and masking tape, and a black marker, right!!!

I think you misunderstand though. I'm not replacing the frame, just removing it to re-weld, both sides of the crack, and probably re-inforce it.

So i probably won't remove everything, leave the harness in place and such.

I could JUST drop the engine, but figure that once you've done that, you can at least gain access to other places.

Thanks for commenting!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
To quote one of FJR's favorite topics..... while you have access to all the connectors, pull them apart and add dielectric grease. No such thing as a too well protected connection.......