Stock seat. Does it hurt you too?

Y

yourebarred

I get a sore arse after about an hour, but find it uncomfortable immediately to be honest. For me, it's the slope, it's just in the wrong place.
I've bought another one secondhand, and plan to modify it myself. I can see that folk have done gel inserts and memory foam, but has anyone radically changed the shape?

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
My butt seems to stay getting sore after an hour or so. I seen this pic onthe fz6-forums Facebook page and have been thinking about doing it on my seat. It is the stock seat recovered and re-padded.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just under 5' 10" at 180lbs and I find the stocker decent. For anything under 2-3 hours its perfectly fine.

I've done all day long rides on it with a break here and there, and I find it tolerable. Don't get me wrong I need to lift my chimichanga maker off the seat every 20-30 minutes (After the initial 2 hours) and re-adjust when it starts hurting but its not bad enough for me to warrant changing the seat out. I'd definitely be switching it out if I was in pain in less than an hour.

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
I am working my way through the aftermarket seats now.. I rode about 160 miles last sunday on the Shad Seat and still haven't fully recovered in my tailbone area. I now have a Corbin seat coming - the next step is to get a OEM seat and try it and send out to Spencers for a rebuild. Of course everyone's body is built different (I am 5'11" and 275lbs with a 31" inseam) But this is what I found with some higher end aftermarket seats. I will update my review on the Corbin after I get some miles on it.

Here is what I think of the TS and the Shad

Top Sellerie:
  • Very rounded top
  • Not good for larger guys - I am 5'11" and 275lbs
  • Feels like it rides in your "crack" than on your cheeks..
  • I had alot of tailbone pain after riding even short distances.
  • Doesnt allow you to sit further back. The one I have ran me up into the tank, with the way the seat is desgned you have one place to sit unless you are a small person
  • PRO: Looks awesome and I am sure for a smaller person would be great as the seat is very soft (initially)

Shad:
  • I didnt have this long - it is wider than the TS seat which feels like you are sitting on it with your cheeks
  • The seat is sloped forward a bit so you feel that you are always fighting to sit in the "sweet-spot" of the seat
  • It did look nice - kind of a carbon fiber look to it.
  • Fit wasnt very good on the pillion side once you sit on it it kind of makes it kick up a bit.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
It starts to hurt after at the 4-5 hour mark. The most uncomfortable stock seat I ever had was on a Kawasaki ZR 7S. My butt started to hurt after about an hour.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I redid my seat on my FZ09 to be on the sporty side. Meaning flat and enough padding to make it comfy for few hours. I went to the Smoky Mountains last week from West Palm Beach. I could feel some discomfort after few hours but it was manageable with some pit stop and rest. I had to make it back asap for some unexpected reason... 900 miles in 14 hrs straight... my a$$ is still bleeding! LOL I didn't design the seat to be a IBA grade seat.

Y

yourebarred

I redid my seat on my FZ09 to be on the sporty side. Meaning flat and enough padding to make it comfy for few hours.

Pics please? Thinking of flattening my seat out too. Did the stock cover fit?

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's was my last posting about my OEM seat:

my stock seat totally sucks!...
Here's to my stock FZ6 seat :Flip: I HATE YOU..

Fast forward couple weeks.

I picked up another OEM seat to shave and play around with and here is the "almost" finished product:
It's kinda hard to say with only a couple of rides but I my seat might be 70-80% better. It could be the start of a great relationship :thumbup:

FZ6 Seat Photos by mountaincycle | Photobucket

Last edited: