stock rear fender mod.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Hello,

So I was sitting in a chair looking at my bike, wondering what else I could mod :rolleyes:

Suddenly something popped in my mind, and I could allready imagine the end result..... The stock rear fender is an oversized boring part of the bike, so I started my little project.

I took the rear fender off the bike. It didn't came off the bike easilly. you probably have to unscrew the underseat storage plastic, but with a little bit of musle, the fender comes off without unscrewing anything.

I'm gonna make the fender 11cm shorter, and make triangle holes on both sides and put a golden coloured "maze" behind it.

As you can see on the pictures below.

- First I marked the area that I wanted to cut.
- take a small grinding disc and cut away roughly the plastics.
- Next take a rough file, and start filing the unwanted plastics away, until it has the shape that you want.
- Then take a small file and finish the edges smoothly (This is the most intensife part of the job)
- Take the "gaze" and mark the shape that you want, and again cut it with the grinding disc.
- Where I'm gonna put the gaze on the fender, I first de-grease the area with some "white spirit". Next Put some silicone on the fender and put the gaze on it. It's silicone special make for PVC, plastics, etc...
- After 1 day of drying it's finisshed.

Right now I'm still at the drying stage, so I will upload some pictures with the fender on the bike ASAP

note: The golden coloured gaze is something my dad had since long time, so I don't know it you can still buy it in stores. It's not iron, but some kind of alloy, because it looks like iron, but you can bend it easilly by hand.

I had about 5 hour work on it. The filing part took the most time.

Tomorrow I'll upload some pics...

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh that is some sweet action right there. Something I might keep up my sleeve for a rainy day!

mbramlett

Crazy MOFO
Reaction score
Visit site
How bout a pic of it installed. Looks very sweet off the bike, might take some time to do this.

Edit: Looks like we were posting at the same time looks pretty sweet, I might try silver myself though.

someone08

Reaction score
Visit site
wow that is a sweet mod for cheap.

i would like to see if that would fit the radiator as a cover, and/or maybe on your lower fairing to give the bike a uniform and unquie look.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
How bout a pic of it installed. Looks very sweet off the bike, might take some time to do this.

Edit: Looks like we were posting at the same time looks pretty sweet, I might try silver myself though.

Thanks.
I first thought of silver colour also. But my license plate has gold background with black letters, so it fits nicely with the licence plate colour :)

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
wow that is a sweet mod for cheap.

i would like to see if that would fit the radiator as a cover, and/or maybe on your lower fairing to give the bike a uniform and unquie look.

Yes I think you could make it fit as a radiator cover. I won't do this, because as a radiator cover, it's very noticable, and it takes attention away from other nice details on the bike :p
The lower cowl is a very interesting thought.... For now I'm gonna leave it as it is, the cowl is to expensive to make some holes in them, not knowing if it's going to have a good result. :spank:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Did a little testride today too see if the silicone was holding on to the fender ok.

A 70km trip on some very bad roads.
Everything stayed where it was. :D:thumbup:

And it made me a happy man.:thumbup:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I am totally doing that in a couple of weeks! I'll probably have a slightly smaller section of mesh though and use black or silver. Looks just as good as the expensive after-market replacements and MUCH cheaper! NICE! :thumbup:

Sticky???

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I am totally doing that in a couple of weeks! I'll probably have a slightly smaller section of mesh though and use black or silver. Looks just as good as the expensive after-market replacements and MUCH cheaper! NICE! :thumbup:

Sticky???

There is an aftermarket replacement for the fender? lol Didn't know that.

Last edited:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Update: Last week, the biggest grill of the 2 came loose.
Probabely becaus it absorbs more shock and vibration than the little one on the left.

The inner side of the fender, where the grill meets the fender, I made some carves in it. So the sillicone will have more grip on the fender.
I also used some silicone-glue in stead of regular neutral sillicone.

I could feel the difference immediately. the glue is more sticky and thick.
I'm pretty sure that it will hold this time.
:thumbup:

So when you do this:
- roughen up the contact area where the glue meets the inner side of the fender
- use sillicone-glue and not regular one.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Advice for anyone else who wants to do this:-

Last time I added mesh to plastic (for the belly pan of my GPZ500S). I used putty. I cleaned the crap out of the plastic, then put putty down on it, then stuck the mesh on top of the putty and put more putty on top of that. It held solidly for a year.