Stock 2007 windshield.. What color is it?

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a used 07' and it came with a Puig shield. I don't like the double bubble design and can buy a stock screen for $41 from various parts warehouses..

My question is, what color is it?? Light smoke, dark smoke, clear??

I'm 6' with a tall torso and I like my helmet in clean air. I think the stocker will give me that, but I also didn't really want a clear screen.. My KLR has a cut screen, and my old BMW has nothing.. I don't have a problem riding in air, but I don't like helmet buffeting.. It makes it harder to hear my MP3 player.. :rockon:

Before anyone jumps in and offers a trade, forget it.. I've already cut the Puig down about 4" and will keep it and compare to the stocker..

BUT, if you have a stocker in good shape, I'd consider purchasing?? :confused:

I don't have an issue with $40 for the new stocker but just wondered what I'm going to get??

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock is clear. If you want to save money, post in the "wanted" section. Stock screens go here for 20-30.
At 5' 10", stock screen was directing wind to my chin. Lots of whistling/buffeting. This is why so many of us here look for work-arounds. Either cut stock screen or convert to naked.
I cut mine BMW s1000rr style and it helped a great deal, but I've since converted to naked and it's even better.

Last edited:

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock is clear. If you want to save money, post in the "wanted" section. Stock screens go here for 20-30.
At 5' 10", stock screen was directing wind to my chin. Lots of whistling/buffeting. This is why so many of us here look for work-arounds. Either cut stock screen or convert to naked.
I cut mine BMW s1000rr style and it helped a great deal, but I've since converted to naked and it's even better.

Hmmm. Cutting the stock screen sounds like that might be a good idea.. I can always paint the inside black..

As I mentioned, I cut the Puig, but it's a double bubble and still raises the wind to around chin level.. I'm going to be wandering the Midwest til Tuesday to give the bike and I a good introduction... I'll see how I feel about it after the wander..

Again, thanks for excellent info!!:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
.. I can always paint the inside black..

Yup.. I did that too. Well.. sort of. I used 3 thin layers of translucent paint.

screentint1.jpg

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks GREAT!!

I just got home from 750 miles of wandering.. Went to a Moto Guzzi Rally over the weekend, and then wandered Sunday and Monday, gathering towns for a Grand Tour I'm in... The cut shield did fine.. And actually, my only complaint is that I wish the throttle return spring was a little lighter..

SDC11312.jpg

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! One of these days I hope to travel like that too.

It's very easy.. I've been doing this on a bike for about 25 years now.. A couple beers at the end of a day riding taste very good while BS'ing with others around a campfire..:thumbup:

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the yamaha touring windscreen thinking it would be quieter but it was really loud and it only stayed on my bike for half a hour, now it sits in its box in the garage. I have considered cutting the stock screen but I've painted the inside of that so maybe the loud touring screen will get trimmed... Or maybe I'll just keep complaining about the noise. I want clean, quiet air too but also a little protection from the occasional downpour would be nice.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's all personal preference..

The deciding factors are torso length, arm length, helmet aerodynamics, hearing protection, and how much discomfort you'll ignore..

I learned a long time ago that I like riding with the blast off my chest, and my helmet in clean air.. It allows my helmet venting to work as designed and eliminates buffeting..

I'll probably see if I can't find a used stocker and cut it down a bit and paint the inside. I think the double bubble might be better than what I have now, and I'd like to keep the cost down on experimenting.:D

And again, it's personal preference.. With my Wing, I have the stock screen down so that I'm looking over it and I know others who can't buy a shield tall and wide enough.. It's all with what the rider's comfortable with..

Last edited: