Standard or Aftermarket?

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Whilst giving the bike a clean on Sunday I noticed a strange rubber capped electrical connection (circled in red) in amongst the wiring on the handlebars.

I attempted to trace the wiring but it quickly disappeared under the tank. My guess is it's some kind of connection for a heated vest or the like but I'm not 100% Nor am I sure if it is a factory fitted option or aftermarket addition.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, looks like a previous owner installed an auxiliary outlet or a plug for a battery tender.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As posted above, its NOT factory installed.

Weird end, a battery tender uses a regular SAE connector (which that isn't).

I kinda doubt its for heated clothing as way up front and would be a long stretch.

Perhaps a plug for a GPS (correct location). Do you know if its 12 volts or 5 volts or ?

I'm sure it goes straight to the battery. If it has a small block somewhere inbetween it likely reduces voltage to 5 volts .

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
The Internet says it's a Tamiya (or TM) connector. Maybe for a USB adapter -- to a phone or GPS? Or a remote-controlled car, from all the web search hits. ;)

Edit: I found that Oxford heated grips and some battery maintainers also use that connector type.

Tamiya connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

170px-Tamiya_Connector.gif

OPTIMATE 5 AND NEW 2 WEATHERPROOF TM USB CHARGER ADAPTOR CONNECTOR TM101 | eBay

Last edited:

flashgordon

Reaction score
Visit site
To me that looks like a connection lead to plug an Optimate battery charger up to. guess the easy way to check is see if the battery has extra wire coming from it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here it is, an Optimate charger end:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/TECMATE-OPTIMATE-BATTERY-DESULFATING-MAINTAINER/dp/B001S59IQ8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PA8WX76838YMKBYSDAD"]Amazon.com: TECMATE OPTIMATE 3+ BATTERY CHARGER / DESULFATING MAINTAINER 12VOLT - TM431: Automotive[/ame]