Stalling after startup - low, choppy idle.

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't ridden my bike in over a week. I've been leaving it outside and it has been raining the past few days. When i started the bike about an hour ago, i heard a faint ticking sound coming from the bottom of the bike near the headers. I let it run for about 10 minutes and then i shut the bike off. I went back to start the bike a 2nd time and as soon as i turned the bike on, the idle was low and choppy. About 10 seconds after start up, the bike died. It now dies about about 2-3 seconds after start up now. What could be the problem? Bike does have a full tank of gas.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, well check your air filter and then try giving the bike a ride. Just a short one should do. Assuming it's safe to do so, of course.

The goal really is just to get the engine up to temp and run it there for a few minutes. Then see how the idle is going at that point. Mainly let us know if it's still "hunting" or "stumbling". I kind of want to say its the choke, but since there isn't one...

Filter, gas, idle needs adjustment for some reason, oil, and spark plugs would be the list of most likely culprits. In that order.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The ticking could be High Voltage arc over from a spark plug insulator to ground. As the bike warms it might start running better because the moisture dissipates and the path is no longer present. If it continues you might try to look in the plug area, in the dark, and see if you can see an arc.

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't take the bike for a ride!

It stalls out immediately. But when it does run for a few seconds, the bike shuts off when given throttle.

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
Knee jerk reaction?

Water in the gas.
Fouled up air filter.
Idler just needs adjustment.

Will it stay on if you give it gas?

I think you may be right on with water in the gas! Holy rust!

20111123202151.jpg

20111123202209.jpg

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Umm... yeah, drain it and try good gas. You might want to look into fixing the gasket on the lid...

While the tank is empty, look inside as best you can and see if there's any rust on the inside. That would be bad... There are coating systems to recoat the inside if there is.

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
Umm... yeah, drain it and try good gas. You might want to look into fixing the gasket on the lid...

While the tank is empty, look inside as best you can and see if there's any rust on the inside. That would be bad... There are coating systems to recoat the inside if there is.

I'm gonna go attempt to drain the tank now, is there any threads to help me through the process?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know if there are any threads on it but your best bet is too run it down close to empty because I don't think there is a way to drain it from the bottom because of check valves, but I removed the tank and turned it upside down to drain out the filler but I did t know much about the bike when I did it so I might have went about it bassackwards

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna go attempt to drain the tank now, is there any threads to help me through the process?

Best way to do this:

Shopping list:

1x hose
1x recipient for drained fuel
1x girlfriend (if you're single; any female friend should be fine)

Procedure:

- Open tank lock
- Put hose through the tank lock opening, make sure it's reaching the bottom most part (If the tank is almost empty, you could tilt it first, before opening the tank lock)
- Let your girlfriend take the hose
- Tell her "work your magic!!" :D :ban:

Grtz,

Degake

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
Best way to do this:

Shopping list:

1x hose
1x recipient for drained fuel
1x girlfriend (if you're single; any female friend should be fine)

Procedure:

- Open tank lock
- Put hose through the tank lock opening, make sure it's reaching the bottom most part (If the tank is almost empty, you could tilt it first, before opening the tank lock)
- Let your girlfriend take the hose
- Tell her "work your magic!!" :D :ban:

Grtz,

Degake

Yes, :ban: hahahahaha. Anyway, i drained the tank by getting as much gas from tilting the tank upside down. Then i took out the fuel pump to drain the remaining fuel, the pump seems to be okay? Still primes when i turn the key. Now off to the gas station for some fresh fuel!