Spray paint match for stock colors?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been googling all over google trying to find some Rustoleum rattle cans that will match my bikes stock color--0564 Deep Purplish Blue Metallic C (DPBMC). I can find ones by other manufacturers that claim to be exact matches but Im not paying that much when Im almost positive that rustoleum makes one that will almost match it since when I painted my frame on the fz6 townsend showed me a rustoleum code that matched the stock yamaha almost perfect. Plus out of all the rattle cans ive used ive never had any that compare to rustoleums quality so that alone is reason to try to find it. So does anyone know the rustoleum paint code that looks closest to the yamaha blue?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been googling all over google trying to find some Rustoleum rattle cans that will match my bikes stock color--0564 Deep Purplish Blue Metallic C (DPBMC). I can find ones by other manufacturers that claim to be exact matches but Im not paying that much when Im almost positive that rustoleum makes one that will almost match it since when I painted my frame on the fz6 townsend showed me a rustoleum code that matched the stock yamaha almost perfect. Plus out of all the rattle cans ive used ive never had any that compare to rustoleums quality so that alone is reason to try to find it. So does anyone know the rustoleum paint code that looks closest to the yamaha blue?

A while back someone painted the rear hugger blue. I don't remember who it was and it's hard to search on my phone. I remember the color being slightly off, darker I think. Imo, not enough matter. I'll look into it more later unless someone can find it sooner.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
I painted the hugger to match my tank and cowl. Sorta, the cowl is 2 different blues. Then I painted the side panels to match the frame. I like the look it gives of extending the frame. Plus the way the frame swoops down to a point, kinda then comes back up looks like the old art trick for painting birds. It is also the Kajin for flying. Since I have Kajins on my swing arm, turning the frame into another Kajin seemed natural.
The Yamaha blue for '05 is 5252 Yamaha 0865 Dark Purplish Blue Metallic L.
I have no idea what the 'L' stands for.The Frame paint for my '05 is 5265 Yamaha 0895 Silver #8 (S8).
Bikes with factory silver on the tank and cowl use a different silver.
Those are Color Rite numbers. A kit with all the prep stuff and clearcoat cost me 134.00 (133.99) $US.An extra can of blue, a can of the silver and extra clearcoast brought it up to about 200.
The hugger matches good enough. The side panels match from the side and above but not from underneath or behind. I forgot to account for the shadow.:eek:

Try cross referencing those numbers

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got some deep scratches now on my tank. The tank bag magnet slipped out and scratched the tank pretty badly. Or at least to a point I am not happy looking at it.

In my 20's I painted my old Firebird with good success. Actually painted it twice. It was a challenge to prep a garage that wasn't mine, get the car painted and then assembled enough to drive and be done in one weekend, but I pulled it off.

Fast forward now many years I have my own garage and I was thinking of putting together a paint booth. I am talking potentially a full repaint (minus the frame) over the winter. Just not sure if I want to put all the effort into a 9 year old bike even though a new one may not come until my daughter is out of college which won't be until 2019

I am a little ticked off that the factory colors are only available through colorite at ripoff prices. I will stay with blue but maybe go darker and since all painted pieces will be redone I shouldn't care about matching the factory color. Close will be plenty good enough.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I was hoping for something pretty close to the factory colors without having to go the color right route. I remember when I painted my frame on the FZ 6 Townsens gave me a rust Oleum color which matched the frame almost perfect. but if I can't find anything I might have to go that route

Sent from my pocket rocket that don't know how to spell

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 I painted my hugger cobalt blue, I believe it is a GM color....
I went over it with a few mists of Royal Blue? and it darkened it up a tad for a slightly closer match. but the hugger paint will not last long, once mine flexed the paint cracked and started to peel off.