Speedometer Issue

jsbuiltright

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I just recently bought my first motorcycle and LOVE it! The only issue I am having with my 2006 FZ6 is the speedometer/fuel/temp/odometer Gauge. When I turn the bike on the gauges seem to work, but they are hazy and very hard to see, scrambled almost. The rpm works great, no issues there at all. The weird thing is that thing is when I turn the bike off, just as the screen is about to go off, the display will appear as it should for about a second?
I have reset the system, by removing the battery for 15 min. checked the wiring for breaks, pulled the connectors to look for bent electrodes and lubed, and also all of the fuses. I have ran out of things to check and wanted to make sure I have covered everything before I start looking for a new speedometer……. Thanks for the help in advance, Joe

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you taken the speedometer apart to check if the wires to the LCD screen are intact? Do the neutral/high beam lights all work properly? If the other functions all work, maybe the display is the only part you should be troubleshooting.

How's the bike running otherwise?

jsbuiltright

Reaction score
Visit site
The high beam, neutral, and the check engine light (only on during start up) work great. That is what I was wondering, im not sure how to take the speedometer apart? There are no screws on the back(That I can see), I tried to kinda pry on the edge with a flathead screwdriver and was getting nowhere except messing up the edges…… I heard that the connections could get corroded inside the case….Also found tonight that there is no blue backlight as well….. If I could get some tips on how to get it apart that would be great! Other that the speedometer the bike runs great, starts right away, runs great, love it!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum! :)
I would check to see that voltages on the system are the nominal 12.6 vdc bike not running and 13-14 vdc with the rpm 2000 rpm and above. It could be internal and the unit is not considered serviceable.

jsbuiltright

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the long reply...Just checked the voltage. 12.6 key off, and 13.4 With engine at idle. It was weird though, this morning riding into work the speedometer worked as it should for 3 or 4 minutes. When it when back to the scrambled screen i did not shift or hit any bumbs.... so im not sure...
Is there any way i can get into the internals to check and make sure there is no corrosion or rust on any contacts that could be causing the problem?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the long reply...Just checked the voltage. 12.6 key off, and 13.4 With engine at idle. It was weird though, this morning riding into work the speedometer worked as it should for 3 or 4 minutes. When it when back to the scrambled screen i did not shift or hit any bumbs.... so im not sure...
Is there any way i can get into the internals to check and make sure there is no corrosion or rust on any contacts that could be causing the problem?

Good on your voltages. Well even if it's not serviceable ,I guess you could hot razor it open. If you do find the readout edge connect can be cleaned and works, you could use black RTV silicone to rebond and reseal the unit. :)

jsbuiltright

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much for the help, it has been great. Before I tear into the speedometer, where is the ground connected, I heard it was on the front portion of the frame, but can't seem to find it? And would there be anything else to check? Thanks Again……